Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - What is this on my mast?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 10:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is this on my mast?
PostPosted: 24 May 2019 07:55 
Rail Meat

This is going to be a long one...

Since we have the mast down on our '77 T37, I thought it would be a good opportunity to replace the old standing rigging, and taking a closer look at the hardware, lights, etc. (nothing has been changed since original)

A couple of things of concern... First off, I have this weird black staining on the mast that has my husband concerned. (See attached photo). Conflicting information online tells us this is either black streaks which could be cleaned with acid (little apprehensive about this solution as I'm afraid it ruins the finish or anodization if it is anodized) or the other option is that it is natural oxidation that should not be of concern. What is it and do I need to do anything about it? Please note I do not want to paint my mast.

Another thing is that I have several points where there appears to be chafe damage on the mast. What can I do about this? (see photos)

Also, notice all the pieces of hardware there are.. What are they? What do they do? What are those random holes for? Any and all help would be appreciated as I don't know really anything about rigging.

Attachments:
File comment: Another hole and screw whose function I don't understand...
IMG_0812.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG [ 2.03 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Another hole?? For???
IMG_0810.JPG
IMG_0810.JPG [ 1.56 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Random hole???
IMG_0808.JPG
IMG_0808.JPG [ 1.9 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Random screw???
IMG_0807.JPG
IMG_0807.JPG [ 2.17 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: What is this used for?
IMG_0806.JPG
IMG_0806.JPG [ 2.28 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Other chafe point on mast.
IMG_0805.JPG
IMG_0805.JPG [ 1.36 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Chafe point from block (which I assume is for lazy jacks)
IMG_0803.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG [ 2.42 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG [ 1.71 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Hull #49

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: What is this on my mast?
PostPosted: 24 May 2019 21:44 
Skipper

Well, I hate working off pictures but I will give you my impression. You got some holes that I cannot explain—possible that the previous owner had some wiring to run—those are not stock holes. You have some obvious chafe from what looks like either a topping lift block or one for some lazy jacks. The hole in the masthead crane is likely for a Windex that has been removed. I agree about not using acid. I think the anodizing failure is what the black stuff likely is—or a failed attempt of some caustic cleaner. The fitting at the top of the mast, might be to hold a block for a burgee halyard—-these have to be outside of everything.
If this was my mast I would probably remove and fill all the hardware I am not using. You can use some epoxy with a decent filler like 403–it will not strengthen your mast but it will prevent rain. You mast is not weaker from these holes. If you are going cruising—I would take everything off it (I did this to mine) and retap the fittings and seal them. If this is a Hall Spar, the buggers put stainless fittings into aluminum with no sealant. They will rot. The inner workings of my boom were useless from corrosion. While I had everything off, I sanded the thing bright, immediately painted it with Alodine and then had it sprayed. The prep is what costs—-if you have a spray guy doing something else, painting is cheap and preserves the rig. You do not have to paint it or do anything if you do not want to—it will still be safe—the boom is more likely a failure point. I would check the ends of the spreaders—-the tips are subject to really bad corrosion and failure if you have the ones that physically capture the shrouds with a metal bar and two screws. I had to use a lot of heat to get them apart.
Good luck
Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 May 2019 08:24 
Skipper

What Velera said. Strip it of all hardware, sheaves, everything, clean it, fill it with thickened epoxy in the holes you won't need. Do the epoxy from underneath and try to avoid blobs inside the mast to the extent possible. I stripped a Pearson 10M mast years ago, sanded with 100 grit, then a finer grit (not aggressively, just cleaning), "peened" it by carefully flooding and wiping everything with white vinegar just before priming, then prime with that funky green aluminum oxide primer, and single part polyurethane white rolled on in multiple coats. 10 years after I did it I saw the boat on a dock (pre-hurricane Irma) and the mast still looked good. No chalking. I was surprised, because 1 part always seems to chalk out after awhile. If I did it again, I'd use 2 part linear polyurethane. Petit has made that pretty easy. Spraying it yourself w/2 part can turn you into a rutabaga. Rolling or brushing works just as well, and it lays itself down nicely.

Getting your hardware off is going to be a pain. Stainless and aluminum shouldn't touch. Whenever I put stainless screws in, I'd coat them with an appropriate sealant to separate the two. When painting, i'd make sure the holes got hit with both primer and finish paint as well. You never get absolute complete separation, but it sure helps. Oh, and run you some messengers before you get too carried away. Good opportunity to rewire as well. Remember sound deadening like foam pipe insulation as well. You'll sleep better if the wires aren't clanging all night. Believe me.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 May 2019 09:22 
Skipper

One more thought about cleaning up this mast: You are going to need heat— and probably a lot of it—to remove the stuff here. I used MAP gas, but had to have a rigger with hotter acetylene for some of the worst stuff, and an impact driver and a dead hammer. Then you will need to drill, retap and seal all the stuff you return. I think that Hall put the spreader bases together with sealant and probably OK, but everything else on my mast was put together with no sealant (by Tartan?) and would, eventually fail. After you do all the stuff to get this structurally reliable, prepping and painting the mast is not, comparatively, a big task. Removing is the bugger.
If you are just planning day sails not too far from a marina (as probably most folks use their boats) and if you do not care about the esthetics, you can just put this mast right back up. It is a sewer pipe for strength and is unlikely to fail catastrophically under most conditions. if you are actually going offshore, I would remove the hardware—you do not want to be wondering about the integrity of the rig when you are 60 miles offshore in a 30 blow.
FWIW.
Ray Durkee
Velera

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 May 2019 09:23 
Skipper

One more thought about cleaning up this mast: You are going to need heat— and probably a lot of it—to remove the stuff here. I used MAP gas, but had to have a rigger with hotter acetylene for some of the worst stuff, and an impact driver and a dead hammer. Then you will need to drill, retap and seal all the stuff you return. I think that Hall put the spreader bases together with sealant and probably OK, but everything else on my mast was put together with no sealant (by Tartan?) and would, eventually fail. After you do all the stuff to get this structurally reliable, prepping and painting the mast is not, comparatively, a big task. Removing is the bugger.
If you are just planning day sails not too far from a marina (as probably most folks use their boats) and if you do not care about the esthetics, you can just put this mast right back up. It is a sewer pipe for strength and is unlikely to fail catastrophically under most conditions. if you are actually going offshore, I would remove the hardware—you do not want to be wondering about the integrity of the rig when you are 60 miles offshore in a 30 blow.
FWIW.
Ray Durkee
Velera

Profile Email