Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Next Question: Filling the skeg?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 16:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Next Question: Filling the skeg?
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2019 09:50 
Skipper

So the skeg showed up, I can see what I have to do, but leaving this "cave" forward of the rudder to accumulate mussels, cockles, lobster, and other growth (I HAVE found immature lobsters in bottom growth on a boat I hauled with an incredible mane hanging off it in the Caribbean).

Seems to me a closed cel foam to fill the skeg, close it up some w/a couple layers of mat might be in order. Has anyone done that?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Next Question: Filling the skeg?
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2019 20:15 
Skipper

That's what I did last year when I had the rudder down. I also felt the foam would help. It helps stiffen the whole thing up. I used 4lb, two part foam. Used a rasp to file flat and glassed over withe a couple layers of 9oz. I painted the inside with a couple coats of Trinidad.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2019 09:06 
Skipper

Rudder off and home for surgery. Skeg is here, but rudder comes first. I've decided to paint the boat w/2 part linear polyurethane, probably Epiphanes. Back to dark blue. It isn't much more work than the wetsanding, compounding and buffing, and I've done it before. Ditto on the decks.

I'm going to cut open the starboard side of the rudder and have a look. The spring thaw had water running out of the bottom of the rudder and the bottom forward had a six inch water stain around it. I wanted to get a delrin washer at the top of the rudder anyway, so out she come. That cave forward of the rudder needed about 10# of mussels dug out anyway.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019 11:56 
Skipper

I guess it is personal preference, but I dislike LPU paint vs. Gelcoat. Any time there is a choice between working out some old gelcoat (I have brought back some sorry looking boats to looking really nice) or doing paint, I prefer not painting. Boat yards like paint because it is quick and you can to a fairly lousy job of prep and they can cover it up with enough of the stuff—it probably takes many less man hours and produces a predictable, if short lived, gloss. The problem is that paint is more susceptible to dings and scratches than the thicker gelcoat and there is little buffing will do for paint. I also think that matching gelcoat is actually easier than trying to patch Awlgrip or any of those paints. The repairs to LPU are obvious and, since you can’t really sand and buff them in like gelcoat they are there forever. Whenever gelcoat can be saved, I vote to work with it. Just another opinion.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019 16:32 
Skipper

The final final decision hasn't been made yet. It's just that the dark blue gelcoat ain't going to get redone in entirety. There's gouges, off color blue attempts at repairs, etc. And, of course, the old gelcoat is quiet washed out except where the sun don't shine. We'll see. Stripping the deck hardware that isn't hidden by furniture and working on the rudder for now. Or at least I hope the kid works on it while we're back in the V.I. for a month. Maple syrup season is almost over, so he'll have the time. It's looking like we won't be pushing south until Septober.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2019 15:04 
Skipper

I just left Hamilton Marine with a good charge of West System and sundry fillers for the deck work. While there, I perused the plethora of paints and gelcoats. I'm sorely tempted to try, except for the 1 part paint that already seems to be on the non-nonskid portions of the deck and coach house, gelcoating everything with foam roller and brush. They even had a dark blue for the hull. I might try the transom only first, though.

Profile Email