Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Starboard water tank replacement

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 20 Sep 2018 03:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Starboard water tank replacement
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018 19:39 
Skipper

If having a custom plastic tank welded up, I would look into a custom SS tank. Know they're several builders down in Fla. Just another option, beside a bladder.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018 06:59 
Skipper

I read cases where leaky tanks were cut open to insert bladder tanks and the old tank provided the support and it would help control any leaks. I added one in my old boat to increase fresh water supply. It was only attached by the 4-corner straps and I had no problem with it.

Lunacy #198
Tampa, FL

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018 10:38 
Skipper

Still working through it. Leightons can definitely build a replacement, but it's $1500. He actually used to work for Kracor and recommended I try contacting another vendor besides Tartan. He said that it should be only about $500. The guy is really nice and helpful. I'm trying one more time with finding a different vendor of Kracor. Then, I'll have to decide $1500 for close to an exact replacement or bladders which may be difficult to get the same capacity. Or research stainless steel.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018 15:36 
Skipper

Tank Depot is the largest vendor of plastic tanks, doesn't look like they sell Kracor, but they do custom builds. Kracor was recently bought by Yamaha Marine.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018 15:04 
Skipper

Finally got the tank ordered through Tartan. $850 plus shipping. Kracor lead time is 8 weeks. Such a frustrating experience dealing with this Chris Ranney at Tartan. He is absolutely awful. If you need something from them, Carrie who answers the phone if you press zero for the operator is helpful. I also was able to get email responses from a person named Shelly Kramp. Her signature says Purchasing Manager with extension 5146. Once I was able to start communicating with these two, I basically forced the order through by also calling Kracor. Without my extra effort, it would have taken who knows how long to finally get the tank ordered. In the 2 weeks I tried to order, I called Chris probably 50 times and emailed him about 20 times. Only ever got one response from him by email before the final order email which I arranged through Carrie, Shelly, and Kracor. Can you tell I'm pissed and aggravated????!!! Jeez

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018 09:05 
Midshipman

As a consumer, any company wants you to consume their "new" stuff and not something that is 40 years old. Their focus is on new boats, I'm sure. I think they tend to forget, or simply overlook customer service when the returns are marginal at best. At least the company still exists.

Leighton is here in Maine, operating out of Billings Boatyard. I had him do a plastic diesel tank for my Bristol 35 around 15 years ago. He does repair work for all of the major Maine manufacturers. I was with him one day on a Morris that needed a quick fix. The problem I saw with the plastic tank on the Bristol was that it became brittle in the areas where the fill and vent were located over a very few years. I'm sure that has been reconciled since, but I sold that boat in the middle of Francis Drake Passage around 12 years ago when a Brit came sailing by and told me he was going to "own that boat." I had prettied it up some with teak and shiny bits (the yawl rig was quite fetching, but dead slow downhill), and got paid way too much for it. Last I saw it, she was on a mooring in Sea Cow Bay.

Profile Email