Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Adding another bow roller . . .

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 15:40

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding another bow roller . . .
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018 16:06 
Skipper

Anybody done it? The one that's on there interferes with having a fairlead all the way forward, so the stbd fairlead is up on the toerail a little aft. It kinda looks like its just screwed to the toerail as well. Could be wrong. I'd really like to have 2 anchors available, and Papa really, really wants a windlass.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Adding another bow roller . . .
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018 19:36 
Skipper

I haven't added another bow roller but am also interested in having a second anchor more readily available. Was thinking maybe a fortress on the bow pulpit. Where does anyone keep their second rode so can deploy easily?

Right now my secondary anchor is a big, old, heavy danforth deep in the lazarette along with the rode for it. It would take me a while to deploy if my primary had an issue. The pain in the butt to get it out also makes me always use one anchor even when two might be better. Any ideas out there for the best easiest solution?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2018 17:14 
Skipper

Who makes the pulpits for these things? Seems like I've seen one or two.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018 17:31 
Skipper

Seems like a lot of weight on that platform, held up by the hull bolts and the dolphin striker.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018 10:57 
Skipper

That would seem to be a pretty detailed drawing to get the support bar and the bolt plates to all line up on the bow. Not sure how I'd approach that, but yeah, something custom is going to get done.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2018 08:26 
Skipper

That's funny. I just checked in here after searching stainless fabricators nearby for the last half hour. We're getting there. Deal on the boat is done, but seller is out of State until next week and I am hesitant to start messing with things until we have everything on paper. He says go, I say no. Half my time the last few days has been spent trying to figure out the best, least work intensive means of restoring 40 year old dark blue gelcoat. I really don't want to do the 2 part linear poly dance. Done that. Looks great, but I'm thinking clean thoroughly, wet sand, clean again, wet sand again (moving every upward in grit fineness), clean again, compound carefully, buff, repair where needed, and wax the hell out of it 3 times. She'll be in a shed for the winter. First order of business is to strip the bottom and unstep the mast (obviously) before it goes into the shed. Haven't decided whether to paint the mast or not. Done it several times, and even had great luck with 1 part polyurethane. Prep, etching and priming is key.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2018 12:42 
Skipper

Perhaps this has been covered before but are you sure you have dark blue gelcoat and not Awlgrip (or the like)? I didn’t know the boat was offered in different color gelcoat. Congratulations on the new acquisition.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2018 13:25 
Skipper

Yes, its gelcoat, with all kinda repairs, nail polish style touch-ups, gouges, gelcoat worn completely away on transom in one spot, etc. I've awlgripped a half dozen boats over the years, both spray and roller, and this is definitely well faded gelcoat in flag blue. Should be interesting. But I'm pretty good at the 10' work. From your cockpit, it will look damn good.

Profile Email