Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Sacrificial Skeg?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 26 Apr 2018 14:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sacrificial Skeg?
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2018 07:10 
Tactictian

55 hp must push the boat to hull speed with power to spare. I wonder if "...vibration and wash over the rudder at higher rpm when motoring" might be cavitation...?

The amazing thing is your Yanmar is probably noticeably smaller than the old Westerbeke. I looked over the models at a boat show once and was amazed how small they were compared to the Yanmar I put in my old boat years ago.

Lunacy #198
Tampa, FL

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2018 18:33 
Skipper

Chris, it actually looks like the lower pintle and gudgeon is missing on your boat. Not sure how important it is, but I do not recall any other lower bearing in that assembly. Perhaps someone modified it and put a lower bearing in it?
Ray Durkee
Velera
T37

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2018 07:48 
Tactictian

Ray, could you explain further? What lower bearing do you refer to? I thought there was only one pintle bar & pin that holds the rudder from dropping down and the image posted is exactly what I would expect to see with a rudder installed without a skeg.

Lunacy #198
Tampa, FL

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018 06:19 
Skipper

I had my skeg torn off by a lobster pot buoy a few years back. The pintle remained in place supporting the rudder. I didn't even know it was gone when it happened. The boat performed normally. I noticed it was gone the next day when on a mooring. I did notice over the next few days that my auto bilge pump was periodically running when it rarely ran in the past. To make a long story short, I had no structural damage, but found that, when powering at hull speed, water was being forced up the rudder shaft to the point where it was over flowing into the bilge. What I learned that, on my boat anyway, the skeg deflects the prop wash and prevents the rudder post over flow. I did replace the skeg, over flow was eliminated. I also installed a pipe plug at the top of the rudder post.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018 07:32 
Tactictian

Isn't there a stuffing box and packing at the top of the rudder shaft that keeps water entry down to a weep? I plan to renew the packing there at next haulout, but I haven't had it apart yet.

Lunacy #198
Tampa, FL

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018 19:10 
Skipper

There is a packing gland around the outside diameter of the rudder post under the steering quadrant.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2018 14:53 
Rail Meat

Velera wrote:
Chris, it actually looks like the lower pintle and gudgeon is missing on your boat. Not sure how important it is, but I do not recall any other lower bearing in that assembly. Perhaps someone modified it and put a lower bearing in it?
Ray Durkee
Velera
T37

Hi Ray. My lower pintle and gudgeon are there. You can see the bar and 4 bolt heads if you zoom in tight on the picture.

I did also notice the wash up the post a bit, but it's not something we can't live with for now.

The 55hp is wider than the Westerbeke, but does not take up as much space fore and aft. We are cruising at about 6.25-6.5 knots at 1800 rpm. At 2200rpm we taper off at a little over 7.5. anything more than that and we bury the exhaust!

Beaufort, SC

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018 12:29 
Tactictian

I see two posts that refer to 'lower' pintle - isn't there only one?

Lunacy #198
Tampa, FL

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018 07:25 
Skipper

Yes there only is one just above the skeg and it gets held in at the top thru a stuffing box,

Richard

Profile Email