Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Question RE Bolts Inside Hull/Stern

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 02:10

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question RE Bolts Inside Hull/Stern
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2017 13:44 
Able Bodied Seaman

Changed the oil in my W50 this weekend and noted that there are 4 bolts in the vertical portion of the stern that show evidence of rust (photo attached). In fact, when I wiped the nuts with corrosion blocker, the bottom nut completely broke-off. These small (look like 1/4") bolts are above the four large horizontal bolts that attach the skeg to the bottom. Can someone ID what these bolts are and can they be replaced with the boat in the water ??

Tom Lindsay
Hooligan #370

Attachments:
Skeg Mount.JPG
Skeg Mount.JPG [ 728.04 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Question RE Bolts Inside Hull/Stern
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017 16:18 
Skipper

Those four bolts hold the upper rudder fairing foil. My setup is different, with two bolts on each side top and bottom. The foils on each side of the rudder, help with hydrodynamic turbulence around the upper rudder. To replace you need to be hauled and drop the rudder. Losing a bolt could cause a serious leak. I would clean and put a large glob of 5200 on the inside.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2017 14:46 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thanks - Expected that I would have to haul to replace. I checked the remaining 3 bolts and they appear to be in "good" shape. No water leaking into the boat as the bottom bolt is still in the hull. Still a good idea to put a cautionary 2nd seal in place. Any thoughts concerning use of the boat pending getting into the yard to replace all 4 bolts? Also, are there any special tools or techniques required to drop the rudder? I will inspect the rudder shaft while out as I have a friend with a T-40 that had a crack in his shaft. Are there any seals, bearings, etc. that I should plan to replace since the rudder will be out - if so, where can I get information on what I need and where to acquire in advance?

Thanks again -

Tom Lindsay
Hooligan #370

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2017 17:31 
Skipper

Search our site, there are lots of info on dropping the rudder. Also look in the technical resources (at home page) under "pintle replacement" and that will tell you everything.

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2017 11:59 
Skipper

I think you will find that those bolts are just temporary to hold the foil in place while the section is glassed in place. I think you would see that the heads are glassed over on the outside unless someone did a tacky job of replacing it. Seems very unlikely to leak or being a problem to me if the heads are covered from the outside. The rust you see could have come just from condensation--and they might be mild steel as they are only useful while you are putting stuff back together. When I have removed my skeg, I just duct taped it and did a couple laps of light fiberglass cloth. Seemed easier than the way the factory did it.

Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email