Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Zinc

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 20 Apr 2024 04:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Zinc
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2014 11:03 
Rail Meat

Has anyone put a zinc on the ruder pintle? It seems like a good spot out of the flow lines for something to protect the bronze thruhulls. Because the prop shaft is isolated from everything else, the zincs on it only protect the prop. The little pencil in the engine has to protect the rest of the boat. I'm planning to split the bonding and grounding on my boat, so the engine zinc would no longer protect the thruhulls, rudder shaft, etc. I don't ever plug in because I have plenty of solar power, but I want the insurance of some cathodic protection.

S/V Dragonfly, T37 #249

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Zinc
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2016 08:39 
Midshipman

Hi Court! I thought about it, but the pintle is not in the water. Have you seen the replacement I made? We added gussets down the sides for strength. A magnet stuck to the old pintle...not impressed with that. I used 316 on the pintle and shaft steel on the pin.

I have pics posted...

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2016 20:11 
Skipper

I've replaced my lower pintle twice over the last 22 years. The last time I did add a small zinc, it was gone at the next haulout, two years later. Would be nice to get a bigger one on it. I added galvanic isolator and thinking it's helps. I have know of a T37 sinking after losing it's rudder off the Va Capes, so I keep a close eye on it. I also use two shaft zincs, no reason not to.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016 13:48 
Skipper

Is the pintle actually necessary? I mean I have seenT37 with the thing completely loose on some Tartans and the rudder is not going to fall out. I have not had mine apart in 20 years and everything is still tight. My boat came bonded with a copper wire running to most of the the metal below the waterline including the bracket that holds the pintle. I am not convinced that actually helps. I use two sincs on the shaft, another one on the strut and my prop has its own. I replaced all my through hulls a couple years ago and noted only one of them showed any corrosion and that was really in the nipple fitting.
Ray Durkee
Velera
T37 #373

Profile Email