Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - weight of the original mast

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 15:10

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: weight of the original mast
PostPosted: 29 May 2015 14:05 
Skipper

Has anyone had occasion to weigh the mast or perhaps obtained that bit of information from Tartan or someone else knowledgeable?
Thanks

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: weight of the original mast
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2015 07:31 
Midshipman

We were figuring about 260 lbs for extrusion alone. Add winches, hardware, stays, roller furling etc... we think around 400lbs. Important to know when stepping your own mast. Never did weigh it though.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2015 21:31 
Skipper

Thanks for the reply, Kent: the idea of a carbon fiber mast intrigues me, but I wonder what the weight benefit would mean.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2015 09:08 
Midshipman

I have head some say an ounce of weight saved at the top of the mast is worth 10 pounds on the deck. I raced on a 24 footer with a State of the art ultralight mainsail and we were able to keep up with 33 footers in the 1-2' chop. It wasn't the cut of the sail, but the weight aloft savings that made it much quicker in the waves. Also it made the boat more responsive to crew weight changes.
no doubt carbon fiber rigging will make your boat faster and more responsive. It would also allow you to carry more sail area, if desired. The problem is cost. If you can afford a custom carbon spar, you might be better served looking for a more modern boat already so equiped. Now if you find a used rig... (since hurricanes and other mishaps creates boat parts, bear in mind that many racing rigs are not engineered to transfer load through the halyard to the deck. They must be locked at the mast head ( kind of like a Hobie mainsail). This is not only a PITA but makes reefing difficult or impossible. So if you have a line on a used carbon spar, understand some are purely for racing.
if you are racing, getting extra weight of anchor and chain off thr bow and reducing fuel weight and other gear in the stern can be helpful. But of course nothing will compare to a car in mast. Oh by the way there will be a handicap penalty for the modification .

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2015 09:17 
Skipper

Good input, Kent: thanks. I won't be doing any racing, just like the concept of the boat being as "stiff" as possible. In reality, I doubt that I'll "pull the trigger" to acquire the carbon spar as the cost benefit is most likely not there. One wonders if there would be a noticable difference losing that weight aloft. "Aurora"

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2015 07:42 
Midshipman

I would say absolutely there would be a noticeable difference. Espescially in any waves or chop. Also the carbon spar might actually be LESS STIFF in certain directions than the aluminum - meaning the back stay could have a much more pronounced effect on mainsail shape than the original telephone pole extrusions.
it is no wonder Tartan is currently making their own carbon fiber spars. It would be interesting to find out the cost of attaining a new spar from tartan
Perhaps for the 3400, 3600 ,3700. All are longer spars, but with the lighter weight, the 37 could handle it.. or you just take a hacksaw to the mast base.... Shocked
Another neat feature on new Tartans is the "trough" boom. They are also composite material and lightweight, and allow the main to stack neatly on top of it without the "stackpack" sail cover.

Profile Email