Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Autopilot choice?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 10:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Which autopilot do you have?
Raymarine Wheel Pilot? 55%  55%  [ 16 ]
Simrad Wheel Pilot? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Raymarine Linear Drive, type 1? 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
Raymarine Linear Drive, type 2? 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
B & G below deck? 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Simrad below deck? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
other? 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 29
 Post subject: Autopilot choice?
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014 06:13 
Skipper

I am thinking of switching to a below deck autopilot to replace my Raymarine 4000+ wheel pilot and was leaning towards the Raymarine Evolution linear drive. The wheel pilot is great for motoring but seems to wander pretty quickly if it starts to blow when sailing. I talked to the Raymarine guys at the Annapolis Boat Show about any adjustments that I could make and he said that our boat was at the high limit of that wheel pilot and that the appropriate one would be the below deck version. Thoughts? Experiences?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Autopilot choice?
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014 08:07 
Skipper

I installed the Raymarine wheel pilot a couple of years ago and am now installing the below deck "Evolution" linear drive I. The wheel pilot just is not up to the job when there's not enough wind to sail (I installed a Monitor wind-vane for those times when there's a fair breeze) and there are sea conditions other than flat calm. Most of the time I've got just one other person as crew and hand steering makes it pretty exhausting after 24 hours. Fingers crossed that the linear drive is strong enough to maintain a heading in sloppy seas!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014 09:00 
Skipper

It will be interesting to see what others like. I "saved" my old Raymarine Wheel Autohelm but I think its life is coming to an end. Its just that the under deck auto pilots are so much more $$$... at least twice as much $$$. Frustrating

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014 12:16 
Skipper

I shied away from the linear drive because of the effort to install. A buddy, who also has a Tartan37, installed the linear drive and after he told me how he had to build the platform for the arm I thought it was beyond my expertise. It is worth the extra $$s because after more than 25 East Coast to Caribbean passages I know the value of a reliable autopilot. Three of the passages were hand steered after the autopilot died. At least it kept the guy on watch awake.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014 13:50 
Skipper

I know little about autopilots, and Holiday does not currently have one, but it is something I will be doing in the next one to two years as well. Was planning on under deck and having it installed by a yard. Previous owner had installed relatively new Nexus NX Sea Data and Wind instruments. Will I be changing all these out if I go with something other than Nexus for my autopilot? Or is it a totally different interface that goes with the autopilot? Anyone have any thoughts or experience with Nexus autopilots?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014 16:17 
Skipper

Here's my new one, CPT,haven't given it a 'severe' test yet but so far its doing ok. Rebuilt the binnacle last winter and decided to brighten things up,red powder coat. Like it or hate it ? Bruce.

Attachments:
IMG_0957.JPG
IMG_0957.JPG [ 1.79 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014 19:02 
Skipper

Betty Lou has an Alpha 3000 linear drive below deck pilot. Lowest power consumption pilot out there, simple, and super reliable. This is not an interfaceable pilot, but I believe in the KISS principle. This pilot is a favorite of circumnavigators for its dependability and low power consumption. Flux-gate compass, excellent trim adjustment, steers in just about any conditions. And you can completely disengage the linear drive from the quadrant, so when hand steering there is no pilot drag on the wheel.

http://www.alphamarinesystems.com/alpha_3000.htm

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014 20:38 
Skipper

This year changing from a Raymarine Wheel Pilot to a linear drive. Wish I bought the shorter unit, getting it to fit will be a challenge. Also get the gyro add on, help to anticipate the boat heading.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014 21:02 
Skipper

We redid all our instruments after the lightening issue last year. I went with Garmin 8206 after 'interviewing' each of the major systems with the wife at the Toronto Boat Show. It was the only one that she could use without sitting down and reading the manual. Love it - Easy to install and I don't need the manual to do everything.

BTW - I had Raymarine before

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014 09:25 
Skipper

I'm really interested in that Alpha as KISS and low power consumption are tops on my list. What all do you have to buy here of a complete system for our boats:
http://www.alphamarinesystems.com/alpha ... e_list.htm

Profile Email