Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Running Rigging Questions

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Running Rigging Questions
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021 15:09 
Tactictian

My mast is out of the boat for the first time since new. Incredible! What I found at the head of the mast was not so incredible. Anyway, I have removed and reinstalled most hardware, including the stainless spinnaker halyard bail (same stainless loop most people seem to have). There was never a spin halyard block mounted to it. The starboard jib halyard served as a cruising spin halyard but I found some chafe in it because it was run directly from the masthead sheave. The port halyard was subsequently rigged with a fairlead at the top for the Furlex to create a more favorable angle to keep the halyard from wrapping around the headstay. I plan to rig a proper spin halyard going through a block on that bail. I don't see a reason for the spare jib halyard now so that will come off. I'm looking for thoughts on how to rig the new spin halyard internally without creating an issue of it wrapping around other things.

My main halyard currently runs aft on the starboard side. I never liked it much because all that line is in the cockpit where you don't want it (it's not a race boat!). I think I will move it back to the mast which will allow for easier reefing and allow some space for other control lines (board, cunno, outhaul, trav). Anyone have a different opinion? If I did this I could legitimately remove that deck top winch (I already removed one and my board operates on a cascade purchase now). Or, I could rig the new spin halyard aft to that location but realistically, no need for a winch for a cruising spin in a sock.

I think there are ways to do things a lot easier and more simply on these boats. This one came with 9 winches! And that's without dedicated spinnaker sheet winches. Seems crazy to me.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Running Rigging Questions
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021 06:46 
Skipper

Rig what you like. I used all 4 sheaves just in case. Carefully take your sheaves apart and service. There are 4 teflon sheets that separate them from the aluminum masthead. Salvage those. I couldn't find new usable sheaves, and you certainly don't want anything ball bearing.

The rest of it is personal choice. Hell, rewiring is easy and probably worth it.

I'd keep a winch on each side of the companionway so if the extra purchase is ever needed. I don't generally run halyards back to the cockpit, but in weather it is convenient, along with a deep reef.

I've decided, after watching and observing enough, that I'm going to remove and inspect my chainplates mast-up. You might want to do it while yours is down if you haven't already.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021 09:15 
Tactictian

I serviced all sheaves and rewired. All new lights and instruments. I decided to rig the spin halyard through an external fairlead on the side of the mast then through a halyard exit plate. Hopefully that will keep things clear.

I will inspect chainplates for sure. Will out pics of everything.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021 13:05 
Skipper

You should at least run messengers on the unused sheaves. After a buddy had his main halyard jam beyond fixing at the masthead on his Maple Leaf 48 somewhere West of Route 65 bringing the boat to the V.I. from FL, I've been paranoid about having enough "spares." It took him 10 extra days to get here, feeding fuel from a day tank since the main tank was contaminated, etc., etc. Mostly on a headsail with pretty much dead batteries. And I meant 4 teflon sheets per side for a total of 8, 2 containing each sheave.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021 12:09 
Tactictian

I may run the messenger although my plan was to run the spin halyard through my existing starboard halyard exit plate. I can certainly see the logic of having extra halyards for going offshore. No plans to do that yet though. If I were then I'd consider a spare main halyard and a storm trisail.

My sheaves all had the plastic friction plates. They were fine. Cleaned and re-installed.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2021 19:18 
Skipper

I added one mast exit plate (Schafer, from Defender)when I redid the mast. And right now, for the life of me, I can't remember why. It was 6 months ago. I ran the spin halyard outside to the block on the masthead bail. Driving to Portland Saturday to pick up a $300.00 W50 running takeout (no smoke, except briefly on startup). Sounded good. Can't have enough extra (cheap) parts. Paint 'em up and put 'em away. Tranny, too.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2021 20:16 
Skipper

I have my spin halyard outside of the mast and running through the block on the crane loop. I like it that way because if runs free when I single hand and need to get the spin down quick in its sock. As for the main halyard, I have inside and on the mast winch (as well as the jib winch--why crowd your work area in the cockpit!) and have never seen a reason to bring it back. I have an Ericson 32 with everything led to cockpit and it is a logistical mess to work with as a single hander. I hate it. I think some marketing guy did the rigging plan. Maybe someone can do it, but when you are taking that second reef in real conditions that require it, I just do not see how you can secure the reefed sail out of the way and gasket it on the boom and make sure things are set properly. I think a lot of rigging decisions are done on conjecture and sales talk, not experience.
Ray Durkee
Velera
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2021 12:42 
Tactictian

Velera wrote:
I have my spin halyard outside of the mast and running through the block on the crane loop. I like it that way because if runs free when I single hand and need to get the spin down quick in its sock. As for the main halyard, I have inside and on the mast winch (as well as the jib winch--why crowd your work area in the cockpit!) and have never seen a reason to bring it back. I have an Ericson 32 with everything led to cockpit and it is a logistical mess to work with as a single hander. I hate it. I think some marketing guy did the rigging plan. Maybe someone can do it, but when you are taking that second reef in real conditions that require it, I just do not see how you can secure the reefed sail out of the way and gasket it on the boom and make sure things are set properly. I think a lot of rigging decisions are done on conjecture and sales talk, not experience.
Ray Durkee
Velera
T37 #373

I ran mine internally for UV purposes. I may run this one back to the cockpit since I plan to move my jib halyard to the mast (once the furler is up I will rarely need to touch the halyard because I'm using ridiculously strong 12mm line for it so no creep). So, with main and jib halyards moved to mast the only one left in the cockpit will be spin. I will be tempted to remove more cabin top winches. Currently have one single speed for the mainsheet and one larger two speed for halyards port side. Already removed the CB winch stabd side and with the main haly'd on the mast I don't even think I need any winch there now.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2021 07:45 
Tactictian

I am starting to get boat work fatigue after 9 months of pretty much straight work. Yesterday my rigger expressed increasing no confidence sentiments on my old Selden furler hardware. The foil is in excellent shape and the drum/bearings/etc are fine but the force required to remove the old wire from the compression fitting probably stressed the stainless rigging screw hardware more than is advisable. So, now I'm looking at another $4K for a new Harken furler. This boat is killing me.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2021 22:42 
Navigator

We're taking a somewhat opposite approach: we're beefing up the cabintop winches (both sides) to Lewmar self-tailing 40's and installing triple rope clutches on each side. Port side will be vang, main halyard, and mainsheet. Starboard will be centerboard, reef 1, and reef 2. I like depowering the main with the vang. The outhaul now goes straight to a cam cleat on the boom, so we can remove the boom-mounted winch and horn cleat. Taking the winch off was a fun drill bit consuming project. No idea yet how I'm going to get the aluminum spacer block off; 40 years of corrosion has welded it to the boom and the bolts.

Everyone's got their own way of doing things and their own preferences. Whatever works for you is cool.

Some of us would like the chance to spend 9 months working on the boat. I still have too much of a day job for that.

Cheers.

Mike
Hotate Maru #162

Profile Email