Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - low oil pressure/ high temp alarm question

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Apr 2024 15:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: low oil pressure/ high temp alarm question
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2013 06:20 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hi
Our boat has the 40 hp engine and it does not have an engine low oil pressure alarm. I am assuming that it doesn't have a temp alarm as well....I want to have them installed. Any thoughts or different options for me to think about....I always hate fixing things that are not broke, but I'm always nervous motoring and find myself checking the gauges every minute or so...which is a pita
thanks.....

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: low oil pressure/ high temp alarm question
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2013 07:18 
Skipper

Same engine but mine does have the alarms. I wonder if your sending units are working correctly? Wire connection gone bad?
My low oil pressure alarm saved the engine once as the diaphragm in the sending unit ruptured spewing oil all over in a matter of seconds. If the alarm did not sound, I'm sure the engine would've seized.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2013 21:18 
Skipper

My W40 has both installed also, look online for the wiring diagram and you should be able to trace it out,

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013 06:41 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hi
My mechanic spent about two hours working on the alarms, he did get the oil pressure alarm to work but only by "jumping" it( what ever that means), and at the end of the day I do not have either alarms working. We have a wiring diagram and after the two hours he finally said he was going to have to start opening up the cable bundles and see where the wires lead. It sounds like a big spaghetti mess to me. Do they make an oil pressure gauge that has a low pressure sensor on it? What about a temp gauge with a built in alarm?
thanks
bill

Profile Email