Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Creating Cleanout Access on Fuel Tank

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 09:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Creating Cleanout Access on Fuel Tank
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2013 06:04 
Skipper

I'm somewhat paranoid about the cleanliness of my fuel tank. I routinely 'vacuum' out the bottom of the tank using the level transducer hole and have found virtually no water or any other harmful 'crud,' I've always consistently added biocide and corrosive inhibitors, and have never found anything abnormal in my Racor filter. Nevertheless, with my paranoia I'm contemplating adding a much larger access point to the top of fuel tank for better access. I don't want to remove the tank, and would like to do this with the tank in place over the winter. Has anybody done this? If so, what guidance or advice can you provide?

Thanks.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Creating Cleanout Access on Fuel Tank
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2013 20:08 
Able Bodied Seaman

I added one to my previous boat.
Pumped all fuel out from fuel level sender hole, then I used a hole saw (3" I think - whatever size your hand and arm will fit through comfortably.) On this tank I would make 2 holes. Trick is to locate the baffles so you don't put a hole right over one of them. Somebody here should have a bright idea about locating them
My tank was stainless, so I had some square stainless plates cut to use as cover plates. Drill the cover, use it to mark the tank, then drill and tap the tank. The key is getting good gasket material that will hold up to the fuel. I went to an auto parts store to obtain gasket material and cut my own gasket.

Really was not a bad project.

#167 Tenacious
Port Clinton, OH

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013 09:34 
Skipper

Couple of things, make certain the o-ring on the fill cap is in good shape. Mine o-ring was gone and got water in the tank. Then got the dreaded black algae bloom. It looked like black fur on the side of the tank. I started with cleaning the bottom of the tank out and shocking with algaecide. Just by running the motor changing the racor filters, I've gotten the tank in great shape.

Two years ago, had a fuel polisher come out to clean the tank. He said it was in very good shape one of the best he seen (there was some darkness on the side, but no fur). Here's the bad part, he put the fuel sender back in and using orange silicon. Major no-no, each screw pushed a small orange ball of silicon into the tank which stopped up the fuel pick-up and shut down the engine. I figured it out trying to verify if I was getting fuel. Ended up sucking six little balls of sealant from the tank.

The points are, keep water out of the tank, suck the gunk out of the bottom every couple years, never use silicon on fuel system, run the motor it polishes as you go and you shouldn't need another cleanout. Also get fuel where they sell a lot and if you get questionable fuel, use a Baja filter. Never buy fuel from a marine that has been flooded during a storm, that's another story. Just my two cents.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2013 14:24 
Skipper

Thanks for the advice and help.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email