Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Saildrive on T37 ?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 01:10

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saildrive on T37 ?
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2013 14:58 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hello dear friends;
Anybody have considered installing a saildrive engine when replacing their old W40 or W50 ?
I ask this since I plan to replace my old leaky W40 next year and will probably end up replacing the aging shaft, stuffing box and have the propeller re-worked at the same time.
Considering the costs of replacing shaft/PSS and remanufacturing my aging feathering Maxprop; re-engeneering the engine bed, etc. Saildrive might be not so a bad idea after all. Add to that the greatly reduced vibrations; no shaft alignment issue etc. it's definitely worth considerations.

What do you think ? Has it been done on T37 before ?

Thanks all !

Hull #162
YCQ, Qu?bec City, QC, Canada

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Saildrive on T37 ?
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2013 18:46 
Skipper

I think you would find that saildrives have a rather unhappy heritage. They have been a problem due to dissimilar metals in the drive and the complexity of what is kept under water.

I think you will need to have a shaft and have your propeller pitched to meet any engine you install, even a sail drive as the pitch has as much to do with the specific boat as it does with the engine and torque. My Tartan was grossly over pitched with the stock prop on the W50 when I got it. I installed a new Yanmar and have been very happy to have replaced all the stuff you can get at during the process. Very happy with the engine as well although it seems to weigh a bit less than the W50.

As for replacing the PSS drip free packing system, I really believe those have been rendered obsolete by the new packing materials you can put in a conventional packing gland that are dripless and trouble free. I have been using this stuff for many years and many miles and I have no idea how PSS continues to sell their troublesome and expensive systems---as a delivery skipper, I hated them and had some very bad experiences with leaks and bellows failure. I think the boatyards like them because they cost a lot to buy, to install and they can send you on your way with something that needs no further adjustment---until it breaks or starts spraying salt water all over the inside of your engine. Then you have a major issue and they have a new source of revenue. I like the old fashioned stuffing box with the new fangled packing---if I was ever to have a problem I could fix it while underway.

FWIW
Ray
Velera

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2013 12:03 
Able Bodied Seaman

Well, you are certainly right regarding the mechanical issues coming with old saildrives. I wonder if manufacturers have come up with better units in the recent years.
Many many new or recent boats are saildrive equiped now; even Tartan's newest models. Easyness of installation must account a lot for those boatbuilders; durability might not be on top of ther engeneering priorities.

But there is advantages coming with the shaft mounted props; certainly less expensive to repair and being able to have a line cutter before the prop has prooved very valuable for me many times. Here, going under water to un-fool a prop is not a very tempting scenario; as the water temperature on the St-Lawrence estuary ranges from 70F down to 40F even in mid-summer...

Hull #162

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2013 12:26 
Skipper

Another issue involving a saildrive is the position of the prop related to the rudder. A saildrive will be much further forward and the flow of water over the rudder will be greatly affected. I also would be concerned about the rubber bellows of some saildrives as they may be more catastrophic than the PSS shaft seal (mine is still working fine by the way Smile )

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2013 08:05 
Able Bodied Seaman

I agree; certainly the water flow would be somewhat different and it would probably affect the handling of the boat, particularely in tight situations.
As for the failure of the seals; I never heard about one that did that and sank a boat but obviously it's a weakness on the design.
That's certainly why Yanmar seals are made with two seals with a water detector between them.
Also; by manufacturers manuals; theese seals require to be replaced every 10 years and doing so is'nt going to be a cheap operation...

So all in all; I will keep the actual running gear configuration and opt for replacing the shaft along with the packing box while at it. Since I plan to do most of the work replacing the engine by myself it will be definitely be a less daunting task than having to tear appart the engine bed. make a big hole in the hull and glass the new bed that comes with the saildrive...

Hull #162

Profile Email