Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Repower estimates and is Beta Reaaly Better??

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Repower estimates and is Beta Reaaly Better??
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014 12:13 
Rail Meat

Hey all, got hull #82 in 2010 in Alameda CA. My they do get around...
We are looking at a beta 30 for my Tartan-38 The price is right, we are in Mexico with a bit of a horror story with a re-build gone wrong. svhajime.wordpress.com

Since we are in Mexico right now, we got a cost for a motor into Guadalajara, MX customs, directly from the England Factory via email: We will have to do the import paperwork and duty payment and transport, from there to Puerto Vallarta.

But the quote was pretty reasonable at around $8000 USD. Price includes: Shipping charges from England to Guadalajara MX, Special support feet to fit the Tartan, 120 AMP alternator, high rise exhaust elbow, lots of filters, impellers, zincs, etc., flex coupling and the 1" mating coupling, and the Type C instrument/control panel...

Are there any updates on the Beta motors installed and running in your Tartans?

Thanks,
Jim

S/v Hajime Tartan37 #82
http://svhajime.wordpress.com

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014 13:23 
Skipper

Hope you checked out "import duty" on that engine. My experience with importing a water pump for my outboard into Mexico entailed a 100% duty on the part (that included customs inspection fees). You might be able to get duty reduced or eliminated for "yacht in transit", but I found that only worked when I went through customs as a traveler with the parts as my baggage---otherwise importation through carriers and customs was a nightmare. All the cruisers would hear when one of us was going back to the states and we would bring parts as luggage to avoid the incredible costs and hassle. Maybe things have changed. Curious--there is (or was) a busy Yanmar place in PV, did you check that out? Best of luck.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014 13:30 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hello gang;
Just ordered my new Beta 38 from Beta Marine Canada. Here in Canada they don't have the Balmar alternator option strangely. I did anyway order the serpentine factory upgrade option and will replace the stock alternator with a Balmar 120A afterwards. Did also order with special feets; C panel, High Rise and water heater option.

Just a word of caution regarding High power alternators; my present one (A Balmar 100A) develops a lot of heat when it's charging my 480 Ah house bank; pushing about 75A initially. Alternator case goes well above 250F in about half an hour at this rate; needless to say that it's not good for the longevity of the thing. I did limit the max charge current to 60A (using the current limmiting option in the external regulator) to try to keep alternator case temp lower.
Any one of you have installed some sort of forced air cooling system for the alternator ??? It would certainly be a good idea I think.

I plan to do this project early this summer along with some other maintenance projects.

I would be intersted to compare my special measurement form results with your's if you still have it and would share it; just for curiosity.

I'll post this upgrade project on my website for sharing when it will begin late april.

Jean-Denis
S/V Nemea

Hull #162
YCQ, Qu?bec City, QC, Canada

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014 17:05 
Skipper

If you part out your engine, I'd like to purchase your instrument panel... let me know.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014 17:45 
Rail Meat

Hey all, Tartan
Jim and Jess here on s/v Hajime Hull #82. We bought her in Alameda, CA in July 2010... formally s/v Just Ducky et al

After 7 weeks in dry dock in 2010 at Napa River Marina where we redid the rudder mounts, bottom blisters, plumbing and electrical, standing rigging, running rigging, nav. lights, etc... We took her back to live aboard in Alameda CA... Learned to sail her in SF Bay!

We left San Francisco in May 2012 for a shakedown cruise up around Vancouver Island and back by September 2012. Then in December 2012 headed south to Mexico where we have been since...

The $3500 we put into the ol' Westerbeke 40 in 2010 for hoses, new heat exchanger and general maint., however, did not (and should have) included the very inexpensive oil pressure and fuel pressure sending switches!!! Fuel pressure failed just before the May 2012 trip north and the oil pressure failed (catastrophically) on April 1, 2013 at 3:00 AM when we froze up the #1 crank shaft bearing and screeched her to a halt about 10 miles off shore around Manzinillo, MX., all because all the oil had pumped out of the engine and into the bilge through the failed oil pressure switch!

Brief saga then to the Beta point! We rebuilt with a well known Canadian Mechanic in Mazatlan summer 2013 and got about 120 hours out of her before the crankshaft broke into two pieces just behind the #1 bearing journal. We are pretty sure the rebuilder did not adjust the bearings for the 0.010 under size grind work done to the #1 crank journal...

It was then that we decided on the Beta 30 as a replacement motor. We called Beta in GB and were told that they had never shipped direct to Mexico(?). However, their ship direct quote was so much lower than we got from a US distributor for Beta that we just had to import the motor ourselves... The beta 30 on s/v Hajime was imported, installed, and commissioned by us in April 2014! After you live through other mechanics removing your Westerbeke 40 and then replacing it and then removing it again all with a chain fall on a well supported boom, you kinda get the hang of it! And the Beta 30 was about 150 pounds lighter...

We put s/v Hajime up June 01 for the Hurricane season in San Carlos, Sonora MX (Marina Seca). It is our first break off the boat for longer than a couple weeks since July 2010....

So how is the Beta 30 doing in the Tartan 37? We have been blogging most of this stuff since buying the boat, can be found at http://svhajime.wordpress.com ... Just look around April 2013 for the beginning of the motor bloga or straight to the beta stuff in Jan or Feb 2014!

Beta 30? She is a little over-propped with the 3 blade 16x12 prop and can only make 3300 to 3400 RPM WOT in calm water. WOT of 3600 RPM up to 3700 RPM is what we should be able to get. If I can find a shop in San Carlos/Guaymas to re-pitch the prop down to a 10 or 11 pitch, I think it will be perfect! We can easily do 6.5 knots the way she is, but it would be nice to have the top end of the power curve in the nastiness!

I would do it again! The beta is not the same motor as the Westerbeke 40. I always had power with the ol' Westerbeke and never had a WOT lower than the governor with the 3 blade 16x12 prop so I was concerned when we discovered the over prop issue... But I am sure a little less pitch we will be able to run 3600 RPM plus and it will still do hull speed plus.

Also, the beta came with brackets built to our measurements by Beta for the Tartan motor bed so we did not have to cut and paste anything during install! All the new motors I looked at, stock, would have needed modification to the motor bed or to the mount brackets!

Jim

S/v Hajime Tartan37 #82

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2014 16:29 
Skipper

I would not go smaller than the Beta 38, maybe the 40. We have the 38 and are very pleased but I could see a little more power could be good in a steep short chop like we get on the Chesapeake...

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2016 12:31 
Rail Meat

Still doing fine with the Beta 30.

We have been in some tough spots, of course, it's a boat! 30 Knots on the nose and 10 to 12 foot seas and the Beta 30 pulled us around the cape with power to spare.

We have around 290 hours on her to date and no problems at all. I noticed we did not post the cost for the motor delivered to Puerto Vallarta Jalisco MX. It was $9,075 USD delivered plus $750 in spare parts... The cost at a US distributor FOB California was over $15,000 USD due to distributorship markups? In MX there is no distributor network licensed by Beta Marine. We used family talent for installation.

We did avoid the import duty by getting the new motor serial number amended onto our TIP document (temporary import permit) here in MX prior to the motor hitting customs. However, we spent $615 USD with the paperwork/broker house who did the receiving and transport 25 kilometers from customs at the airport to our dock!

Here is a link to the cost/delivery story...
https://svhajime.wordpress.com/2014/03/29/woohoowhew/

And a link to installation...
https://svhajime.wordpress.com/2014/03/ ... nics-rock/

S/v Hajime Tartan37 #82

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2016 22:11 
Skipper

Wow, a 30...

What prop size and pitch, and transmission do you have?

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email