Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - beta 38

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 07:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: beta 38
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2013 16:16 
Skipper

OK you Beta 39 owners out there,,, please give me some feedback !!

I got a great quote on a Beta 38 and am seriously considering re-powering. I know several of you have re-powered with the Beta engine several years ago and was wondering ARE YOU STILL HAPPY ? Thanks in advance.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: beta 38
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2013 19:23 
Skipper

I just installed a Beta 38 this year, sorry I cant offer any long term experience

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013 07:19 
Skipper

T37Chef,

How did your custom engine mounts work for you ? I'm thinking of paying for them but wound rather not have to modify a custom modification.... and they're expensive. Did you, at all, need to cut down the old engine bed ?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013 11:52 
Skipper

I know another poster here had some difficulty with their custom mounts from Beta, I would attribute that to improper measurements. The mounts they engineered for our installation fit extremely well, so well that the holes for the aft mounts from the old W50 were almost dead on, only needing to enlarge the one hole slightly. New holes needed to be drilled for the forward mounts, that because the Beta 38 is shorter IIRC.

The primary reasons I chose Beta was their ability to fabricate such precise mounts; I am very satisfied with the install, pretty much a drop in replacement. NO bed modifications required, that in itself is a significant cost & time saver.

The engine is quieter, smoother, smaller and well-engineered for maintenance...everything is easily accessible, makes DIY maintenance easy!

Those looking for a re power really need t consider that Beta 38, someday I will post pictures of the new install, but for now I couldn’t be more pleased with the outcome. I did several other things as well, new battery location on a new platform forward of the engine, complete battery re-wire and ACR, new water heater, sound & heat insulation, painted everything engine and aft, PSS Shaft seal, new muffler, added a fuel conditioner that can also be used as a backup fuel filter, and a few other things.

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013 12:59 
Skipper

I was probably the one that had trouble with the mounts. Instead of gathering all the measurements on their custom mount form I simply supplied the drawings of the Westerbeke engine/trans assy I was replacing and asked that they build mounts with the same X,Y,Z offset from the crank shaft C/L as the original engine. A really simple engineering task. They couldn't do it. Apperently they just plug the numbers from the form into their spread sheet and it comes out with the numbers they need to fab the mounts. So in the interest of simplicity I shot myself in the foot.

I installed the engine 4 years ago and have 275 hours on it. Once the original bugs were worked out (trans leak, dipstick tube leak, fuel leak at injection pump) it has been fantastic. Plenty of power and very easy to maintain. Much smoother than the Westerbeke. Also the fuel system self primes which is very nice. A little hard to find Beta/Kubota parts sometimes but I've been using cross referenced stuff from the auto parts store. The little zincs in the heat exchanger don't last long and can break off inside the heat exchanger and require fishing out. I understand they changed the heat exchanger design so maybe they addressed this. I would recommend it for ease of install and maintanence.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2013 09:26 
Rail Meat

My new Beta 38 has 4 hours on it. I got the custom mounts so the engine bed did not have to be cut down. It fit perfectly. Had a slight transmission oil leak, but that should have been fixed this week. I replaced the old PSS shaft seal with a stuffing box and GoreTex packing.

S/V Dragonfly, T37 #249

Profile Email