Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Engine mount maintenance?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 07:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine mount maintenance?
PostPosted: 19 May 2013 19:22 
Skipper

31 years and we've never touched the mounts. Through a miscommunication a yard guy got on the boat last year for commissioning and said he tightened them. Today, still on the cradle, I noticed the shaft is in contact with the low edge of the hole the shaft exits. Used to be centered in that tube such that I could slip some tape around the shaft for masking during bottom painting. Only thing I could imagine causing that would be the back of the engine/trans being slightly lower.

Haven't gone in there to check things out yet, so as a heads up... are they adjustable? Can you align things using the mounts? Or do I need to look at replacement after 30+ yrs?

Thanks for any input.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Engine mount maintenance?
PostPosted: 21 May 2013 11:40 
Skipper

I replaced my OE engine mounts on Betty Lou on the advice of the yard when I replaced the shaft, cutlass bering, shaft coupling, and added a dripless shaft seal. Their argument was that the mounts had no vibration damping left in them after 30 years in service, and that shaft alignment would be much better with new mounts.

I was happy that I did replace them, as I saw a huge reduction in vibration with the new mounts.

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 May 2013 16:15 
Skipper

Those original mounts have done a lot of work over the years: I believe they could use some relief. One wonders what the yard guy "tightened"?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 May 2013 19:46 
Midshipman

I have been thinking about replacing my mounts as well. Or the whole engine for that matter, but I'll stay on point. Might I ask a ballpark figure of how much I should expect to pay for new mounts?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 May 2013 04:46 
Skipper

The mounts are $50.00 to $75.00 each: the "fly in the ointment" is the labor of getting everything aligned properly. It's an odious task, but one that's pretty important for smooth engine operation and long life of the drive train.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 May 2013 13:16 
Skipper

I'll start the internet search. Hoping there's some adjustment possible to get me through the season though. It'll have to go on the "next season" list.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013 16:16 
Skipper

Concerning adjustment... Check my logic.

Things were in line and the shaft left the stuffing box pipe centered.

Now the shaft rests on the bottom of that exit.

The skeg certainly didn't move (prop end should be in the same place) which implies that the engine end settled.

Would you think that all 4 mounts need to creep up a tiny bit? Or just the back two? Our coupling is a fixed one... keyed shaft and bolted to the trans side. So if it runs smooth I would think that all 4 mounts go up with maybe a little extra up front. If I'm looking for 1-2 mm at the exit, the engine go up about 5mm tops I figure. But again... 32 years and never touched these before so I'm making it up.

Anyone who's gone through alignment of things could do quite a service laying it out for us here. And if it's comprehensive I'll ask Tom to add it to the tech docs for the main website.

Profile Email