Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Rattling from transmission area at low RPM

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 02:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rattling from transmission area at low RPM
PostPosted: 11 May 2013 07:07 
Skipper

Just had my boat launched yesterday. Everything went well except I now notice a distinctive rattling from the transmission area when in gear at very low RPM (<1000 RPM). The rattling sound is very similar or the same as you get if the transmission is not fully engaged in forward. The transmission works fine, and sounds OK at higher RPM. Did a little research on the Internet, and found a source that suggested this noise is caused by a worn/faulty damper plate located on the engine shaft inside the bell housing. The stated reason is that the damper prevents gear gnashing at the lower RPM. Sounds plausible. Has anyone had the same problem, and if so how did it get resolved? If it could be the damper plate, has anyone pulled the bell housing, while in the water, and do they have any tips?

I have a Hurth HBW short profile transmission.

Thanks.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Rattling from transmission area at low RPM
PostPosted: 12 May 2013 08:20 
Skipper

Try the easy stuff first, I developed a rattle coming up the Champlain canal, I thought it was from the prop so I 'went swimming' in the canal!! No problem with the prop, it turned out to be the underneath locknut on the rear engine mount had loosened slightly causing a rattle at certain revolutions, I hope yours is as simple. Bruce.

Hull #6

Profile Email