Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - W50 Raw Water Hx Removal

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 12:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: W50 Raw Water Hx Removal
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2013 07:24 
Skipper

I'm about to remove my raw water hx for cleaning. In the past I did this by removing it with the exhaust manifold. It just didn't seem possible to get to the 2 inboard fasteners. Has anyone been able to remove the hx only, and if so, how did you remove/reinstall those troublsome nuts/washers?

Thanks.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: W50 Raw Water Hx Removal
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2013 16:34 
Skipper

As I recall, I had to remove the whole manifold to get it off for cleaning. I got better at doing it with subsequent times I removed it. I seem to recall I needed to cut down an open ended wrench to get the nuts off the inside toward the block side. Installing them was a trick as well but I forgot how I finally did it--I think I used a flat metal ruler to press them against the stud. Happy contortions to see what is going on in there. It was a loathsome task but I recall being able to do it in 45 minutes after I got good at it and had discovered and made the tools. I have an account of the process but it is in my boat log which is 3000 miles away at the moment. Even if you could remove the Hx alone, I cannot imagine trying to get it back together from the bottom up. Good time to flush the expansion tank as well, but do not use any acids on it as I believe it will not stand up to them like the HX will need. In my experience the oil cooler was more likely to clog than the main Hx. You could get a generic one and put it in its place---I never had much regard for the one Westerbeke put on there and the part is grossly overpriced.

Good luck.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2013 17:35 
Skipper

I just installed a new heat exchanger this past weekend. You do need to removed the whole manifold, to get to the two inside nuts. I did find one trick this time, that's worth passing on. This time I didn't remove the exhaust hose, exhaust elbow or saltwater injection on the exhaust. Keep all that attached to the manifold and just loosen the screws securing the aqua-lift muffler so it can swing the manifold to the side. Make certain you have the needed manifold gaskets, you can make the gaskets for the manifold to heat exchanger.

I replaced the heat exchanger with a new one and super happy with the quality. Mine was 34 years old and 20-25 years is the most you should expect. The new one has clean out on both ends, that will make it possible to clean while installed. The old one was in bad shape, almost closed off at one end. The new one is a 3-pass exchanger, making it more effective. Take measurements and make certain you get the right one, Mr Cool was great to deal with. At $299, I thought it was a deal, brand new and made in the USA. A big plus you don't have that stupid rubber cap on one end, mine always leaked.

http://www.mrcool.us/15799-westerbeke-heat-exchanger-17247.html

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2013 17:54 
Skipper

Also the heat exchanger guy said that vinegar is ok as a descaler, but suggested something stronger like Rydlyme.

http://www.rydlymemarine.com/

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email