Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - what's an '82 Westerbeke 40 worth?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what's an '82 Westerbeke 40 worth?
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012 16:27 
Midshipman

I've just replaced the Westerbeke 40 with a Beta 38 and have someone interested in buying the beast. The Westerbeke has ~3K hours, needs a new alternator and has a leaky heat exchanger. Other than those issues she is great. Starts every time and doesn't burn much oil. Any ideas what the motor is worth?

Thanks!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: what's an '82 Westerbeke 40 worth?
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012 19:45 
Skipper

we need to chat about your new engine Wink

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012 22:53 
Midshipman

T37Chef wrote:
we need to chat about your new engine Wink

I hope that you don't know something that I should have known before I got it!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012 09:46 
Skipper

No, not at all. I have talked with Stanley a few times and I'm about 99% sure I am going to purchase a Beta 38 this fall to replace our W50. I just want to know how the install went, what issues you had if any and some other details. Would you mind sharing about how much you ended up spending and did you do the install yourself?

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012 15:02 
Skipper

When I replaced my W-50 with a Beta 38 I got $24.80 for the W-50. But you probably want more than that for yours. Cheers

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012 16:50 
Able Bodied Seaman

I paid $600 for one a few years ago to get spare parts on a rebuild. You can contact Foley's Marine and Industrial Engines as the buy back old engines to refurbish. You have to send it to them before finding out what they will give you on it. You also have custruct a cradle on a pallet for shipping. Visit their web site for additional information. I purchased a number of internal parts for the W40 which is really a Perkins 4107 or 4108.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012 08:04 
Midshipman

Thanks for the replies. I think I have someone local to the boat who is interested in the engine so will probably just avoid the shipping troubles and sell it to them.

T37Chef, I didn't do the install but will check to get an idea of any specific issues and let you know. Generally though, other than getting the mounts created, they guys putting it in felt that everything was fairly straight-forward.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012 12:11 
Skipper

The total time I spent putting ours in was equivalant to 3 weekends. We did it at the same time we were replacing the port lights. I don't recommend that. No real zingers though. It was pretty straight forward once the mounts were fabbed up. The hardest part was getting the old Westerbeast out. I stripped it down to a long block to lighten it up a bit. I saw somewhere that a deflated basketball was placed under the old engine and then inflated to jack it up enough to get it out. I would give that a try if I were to do it again. As it was the old engine needs to be jacked up and wood shims made from 2x4s put under the aft engine mounts. I stole an idea from Ray Durkee and built a cradle out of 2x4s and plywood that sat on the saloon floor. It had two 2x4s that lined up with the engine beds so that the engines could be slid out by running a come along from the mast to the engine and a chain fall from the boom to a rope attached to the engine. You lift with one and pull with the other. We used 2 halyard on the boom where the chain fall was attached. We probably put the Beta in and out about a dozen times trying to get the engine mounts correct. My wife and I got pretty good at it after awhile.
Attachment:
Beta cradle.JPG

Beta cradle.JPG [ 366.83 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

To clarify I had the yard lift the old engine from the boat (right off the cradle) and the new eingine lifted into the boat with their mast crane.
Attachment:
crane.JPG

crane.JPG [ 124.75 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email