Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - The key to impeller change.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 15:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The key to impeller change.
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2012 01:13 
Skipper

Lesson learned for the day. I change the impeller yesterday in the same fashion as I've always done. I left it in place and did the gymnastics to reach the 6 screws on the back plate trying to get the screwdriver on the screw with the lift fuel pump in the way. I didn't test the system (routine maintenance... what could go wrong?) and today we had no water flow. Turns out the key, which I always assumed was part of the shaft, fell out sometime during the job. The shaft was turning on it's own.

Of course I didn't discover that until I pulled the pump completely off so I could turn the pulley. That was such an easy removal, I now regret the countless trips into the locker under the quarter birth to do it in place. Never again. Two bolts, three hose clamps... too simple.

And with it laid out in front of me, I found 6 impeller vanes jammed into the elbow of the pump outlet. They were worn smooth and had been there for a long time. Never would have seen them had I not removed the pump. I've doubled my flow and cut the impeller change job in half!

Was I the only one on the Tartan planet doing it in place?

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: The key to impeller change.
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2012 09:49 
Skipper

Glad you discovered the vane parts.....That'll help cool things down.
On our W-40, the pump has no pulley, it is internally driven and it is in front of the engine so access couldn't be easier, but I now wonder if there's any impeller parts stuck from previous owners..............mmmmm.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2012 20:55 
Skipper

I think my bolts are behind the pump. I remember thinking about just pulling the pump one time. I guess I should relook at it and make sure that's easier.

But then again, the previous owner removed the lift pump and installed an electric one so I don't have to fight that at least.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2012 21:16 
Skipper

I pull the pump, never crossed my mind about trying from the back. You one tough dude. I had two impellers go bad and spin the shaft, were the center of the impeller broke free from the rubber and was just spinning (from too much back pressure). Found impeller parts down stream at the heat exchanger elbow. The point is, if you pull an impeller and it's missing parts...go find them. They don't dissolved, just clog things up.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012 11:33 
Skipper

I have always just removed the whole pump and replaced the impeller. The difficulty is the pulley is always in the way or getting at the bolts. I bought a open ended ratchet wrench to make it easier but it is still a pain to get at the bolts that also tension the belt. Anyone have a better solution?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012 22:52 
Skipper

I pull the pump with pulley. I have 1/2" bolts holding the pump in and can use two 1/2" open & boxed-end wenches thru the pulley slots to hold the nut. Crescent wrenches and vice-grips don't work. Be very careful NOT to over tighten the water pump belt, wears the front seal of the pump. I use to tighten it using a pry, not any more. The water pump only needs about 1/8 hp of power, you'll never see a seawater pump slip. The Alternator is a different animal, a high output alternator uses about 4-5hp. Also check the alignment of the pulley & pump with a straight edge to the Crank Pulley. Always use a dab of grease on the impeller, shaft and keyway. If you are missing pieces of the impeller go looking for them.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012 06:56 
Skipper

^^^ Where were you 10 years ago before I learned all that the hard way! Good tip on belt tension though. I was wondering if that wobble in the shaft/pulley meant the bearing was on it's way out so I put it back with kid gloves.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012 10:20 
Midshipman

Same here. I've got the W-33 and leave the pump in place and do the gymnastics to get to it. No issues so far.

Tom
s/v Dulcinea
T37-2 keel/cb # 427

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012 08:57 
Skipper

Down2TheC wrote:
^^^ Where were you 10 years ago before I learned all that the hard way! Good tip on belt tension though. I was wondering if that wobble in the shaft/pulley meant the bearing was on it's way out so I put it back with kid gloves.

So that was a warning sign. Pump bearing seized 3 hours from home when returning from cruise. Probably put 30 hours on the engine after putting the pump back on. I guess the thirty year old bearing should have been left alone. I was hoping to do a rebuild in the off season.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2018 23:57 
Skipper

For the Jabsco Raw water pump. I believe I need the below part number for the impeller. Is that correct?

Any idea where to find this part the cheapest?

Jabsco 5616-0001-P

Profile Email