Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Where to buy new raw water pump?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 16:40

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Where to buy new raw water pump?
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2012 09:37 
Skipper

Thanks. I am great with fibreglass, wood and cloth but have little experience with motors.
I am in the process of replacing hoses at present as I have been going over the Westerbeke drawings trying to identify the parts.

Thanks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012 22:50 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hi
You mention an R30-G, what make pump is that and I assume the R-30-G must be a model number?
Thanks
Bill

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012 09:49 
Skipper

bcarli wrote:
Hi
You mention an R30-G, what make pump is that and I assume the R-30-G must be a model number?
Thanks
Bill

That's a Sherwood.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2012 13:28 
Able Bodied Seaman

One thing to remember is the W40 is actually a Perkins 4107 or 4108 Block and some of the parts are interchangeable and cheaper for a Perkins. When I did my rebuild I went through Foley's Marine and Industrial Engines which were cheaper than Torrence or TransAtlantic Diesel. The difference between the 107 and 108 is one has wet sleeves. You have to look at the serial number stamped on the engine to tell what you have. I installed a Sherwood R 75 during the rebuild. Check out Doctor Diesels Tech tips on Foleys's web site for discussion and tips on diesel engines.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2012 08:52 
Skipper

sord wrote:
Has anyone a better way of mounting the raw water pump? Mine is only accesable by removing the entire pump, belts and mount. See attached photo. Surely someone has a way of making it accesable from the front of the engine.

Maybe some of you more mechanically minded could tell me
1) Can I safely decrease the pulley size by 1 inch?
2) Can I reverse a water pump or make it work when turning the reverse way?

I am thinking if I could do both the above I could put the pump in front of the pulley so the back of the pump faced me. I'm not a mechanic

Here are my pulleys, they have a different arrangement. The two water hoses can be made (cut from) one E71230 crosses to XL-359 from any auto part store.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/buy/products/187051-curved-radiator-hose-by-dayco-part-e71230-hoses.html

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2012 18:02 
Skipper

That is the cleanest W50 I have ever seen. Wow.

I do not think you can turn the pump around without fouling up the closing of the engine door and stairs. There is really very little room there as it is. After you have removed the pump a couple times it gets easier. I may have told this story somewhere before, but I was motoring through some reefs to a lee shore in Panama when my raw pump started spraying water all over the place. I had a spare and, because I had had the thing apart dozens of time (and some luck), I was able to switch the pumps and get everything working in 10 or 15 minutes. Experience with changing it out and having a spare saved may have saved my boat. Not bad to check your belt tensions periodically so getting in there and looking has it merits so you could think of each disassembly as safety drill and maintenance inspection.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2012 18:07 
Skipper

By the way, check you belt on the raw pump---looks twisted from here. Also, your alternator belt looks like it has been hitting the engine in vibration. Should not have more than 3/4" of play in the longest run. I found that keeping proper belt tension was a regular maintenance issue with the W-50 probably because---like you--I was running a high output alternator that stressed everything.

Ray

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2012 21:11 
Skipper

Thanks, I rebuilt the W50 about 8 years ago, has about 750-hrs on it since the rebuild.

The raw water belt is ok, it's a Dayco Top-Clog (see photo). Suppose to be more flexible and run cooler. Can't be so great, I don't think they still make them. I keep the raw water pretty loose, but I have problems keeping the alternator belt tight and not vibrating & rubbing. Does anyone else have this problem? I have an APC high output alternator and the belt is longer than the standard one, I think that doesn't help.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012 07:07 
Skipper

I had the same problem with my alternator belt getting loose because of the long travel and forces of a high output alternator. I kept tightening the hanger bolts and finally got the thing to stay, but it was a struggle. You appear to have a different bracket than I had.

Interesting belt on your raw pump. Never saw one like that.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2012 10:02 
Skipper

Keep an eye on eBay... I purchased a new one and paid less than $150 for it. It came without the pulley; took it to a local machine shop and had the old pulley removed and installed on the new one. It cost me less than $20. eBay is just one place to find a replacement,,, lots of discount parts places online.

Profile Email