Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Where to buy new raw water pump?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 04:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where to buy new raw water pump?
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012 08:47 
Able Bodied Seaman

I need to buy a spare raw water pump ( westerbeke 40 ) for my boat and I wonder where is a good place to buy it on line?
Do all Westerbeke 40's use the same raw water pump or do I need to be concerned about buying the correct pump? My boat is far away on the hard for the summer.
Thanks

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Where to buy new raw water pump?
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012 22:33 
Skipper

Going by this parts list you need a Sherwood F85
http://www.sltf.com/boat/system/engine/

Looks to be able to buy here, but before you do call Defender 800-628-8225. For my W-50 pump they were much cheaper than anybody else.
http://www.discountmarinesource.com/p-25029-sherwood-sherwood-f85-raw-water-pump-f85.aspx

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012 11:21 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thank You
Bill

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012 18:24 
Skipper

You may find that if you try to get a stock Sherwood that your pulley will not fit. As I recall, Westerbeke made a special shaft of different diameter that had to be pressed into the pump bearings to fit the pulley. You could get the pulley machined to accept it.

Whatever you do, Torresens is the most expensive place to buy anything having to do with Westerbeke. Like shopping at West Marine.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012 09:40 
Skipper

After hunting down parts for a rebuild, I would think it's just as simple to get the replacement internals and have an assembled shaft as backup. But I guess only if you have an R30G with the bearing housing separate. Shaft, seals, retaining rings, bearing and housing all pressed together and should anything go wrong, two screws and you have a new pump.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012 17:39 
Skipper

Not sure if I am following your words here. You understand that the non standard shaft would require a hydraulic press to insert those bearings and shaft? Carrying a spare raw pump saved my boat in Central America. I will not go into the gory details, but I was glad I had one and glad that I had familiarity with replacing it quickly. Very close call.

Ray

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012 19:42 
Skipper

I have a Jabsco pump, not a sherwood, but I think they are very similar. I have a general rule that has served me very well. I generally replace the impellor ever year, sometimes two. I have replaced the impellor side shaft seal, but I only do it to get me through the season. Then I buy a new pump. I have found in many cases, the seal failure is caused by a slight wobble in the shaft meaning its bearing is warn and should be replaced. The difference in price between a new pump and a full rebuild kit which includes a new shaft with bearings isn't that large. If I recall about $100. My thoughts anyway. I'm somewhat paranoid about loosing my raw water pump, since it always seems to happen at the worst time.

Jim

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012 22:02 
Skipper

No, pressing bearings underway would be a bit tough. So the smallest chunk of a pump with the bearing in place would be ideal if you're not world traveling. (We're mostly day sailing.) For my R30G that's shaft, bearing, bearing housing, and the mechanical seal. Half the price of a new pump and an extra 10 minutes to get it in place. If your pump has a one piece body, then you're forced to have the full pump standing by. Since I just did my first rebuild at 32 years I can't justify $350 of hardware sitting around when we put such meager hours on the engine. If I were cruising every week or circumnavigating, absolutely I'd have a full spare.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012 18:11 
Skipper

Has anyone a better way of mounting the raw water pump? Mine is only accesable by removing the entire pump, belts and mount. See attached photo. Surely someone has a way of making it accesable from the front of the engine.

Maybe some of you more mechanically minded could tell me
1) Can I safely decrease the pulley size by 1 inch?
2) Can I reverse a water pump or make it work when turning the reverse way?

I am thinking if I could do both the above I could put the pump in front of the pulley so the back of the pump faced me. I'm not a mechanic

Attachments:
IMG_4898.JPG
IMG_4898.JPG [ 3.69 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012 19:15 
Skipper

sord wrote:
Has anyone a better way of mounting the raw water pump? Mine is only accesable by removing the entire pump, belts and mount. See attached photo. Surely someone has a way of making it accesable from the front of the engine.

Maybe some of you more mechanically minded could tell me
1) Can I safely decrease the pulley size by 1 inch?
2) Can I reverse a water pump or make it work when turning the reverse way?

I am thinking if I could do both the above I could put the pump in front of the pulley so the back of the pump faced me. I'm not a mechanic

Your pulley set up is much different than mine. I have a much smaller pulley on the raw water pump and fresh water is also different. I'll get a photo. I can tell from your photo, you also have the orginal hoses, you need to replace them. Can be found at auto parts store, I 'll get you the part number. If you're going with the different setup, get a different pump like the Sherwood much better pump. The Jabsco pump can operate either direction (see attached). When you replace the SW hoses add a couple of inches. Then you only needs to loosen the two mounting bolts and roll the pump forward and remove the back cover. Takes about 10-15 minutes.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email