Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - How did you know it was time to repower?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 04:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How did you know it was time to repower?
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2012 18:06 
Midshipman

I know there is no shortage of conversation when it comes to what engines to repower with on this forum. However, I am interested in hearing from those who repowered as to how they knew it was time to make that "investment". I have been chasing gremlins in the cooling system since we bought her 2 years ago (thanks to all for your previous contributions on that forum topic), and my mechanic wants me to hold off making any decisions until he gets a few questions answered by Westerbeke.

So, to those who have repowered...what was your proverbial 'last straw'?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: How did you know it was time to repower?
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012 07:41 
Skipper

Scott,
Although I have not repowered yet, it is something that I think about from time to time. My engine is getting old now, 35 years, but it only has about 2400 hours on it and still runs decently. The trouble that I have is that some of the bolt-on parts are starting to need replacing and when you add the cost to all of those accessories, it makes you start to think about replacement eventhough the cost of replacment grossly outweighs the cost of fixing it. A new engine would be quieter and possibly more efficient, but is it worth it?

The other consideration is the overall value of the vessel and how long do you plan on keeping her? If this is your boat that you will keep for a long time, then it would be worth consideration but if you want to sell off in say 5 years then I would fix the old one. Our boats are not appreciating and throwing at least 12 grand into the equation only makes sense for the long-haul. I am in it for the foreseeable future so I am thinking one day...............

Cheers,
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012 09:36 
Skipper

Our Westerbeke 50 was starting to two bit me to death. I had spent about $1K in repairs the year before we repowered, about $500 the year before that and was looking at a hydraulic pump overhaul and injector service. And it leaked oil. As Tom points out it's the marinizing parts that rot away and some of them are getting hard to find. If you find them they are expensive. For example I thought I might need a manifold at one point. The only one I could find was at Torrington. They're pretty pricey anyway but they wanted $1300 for a USED manifold. On top of that the engine was getting unreliable with fuel leaks from piping and the hydraulic pump. It's a pain in the arse to bleed the fuel system and it's noisey and shakes the whole boat. Some of those issues can be addressed with more parts replacement and adjustments. I got tired of the constant battle and worrying about the next failure so I chose to address all the issues by repowering. We preformed the install ourselves. I've been very pleased with the repower. Our W-50 had about 2800 hours on it.

Any body want a W-50 manifor for half price? Razz

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012 11:35 
Skipper

I have decided to repower and have 99% decided on a Beta 38. I have had the injectors & pump rebuilt and some other items and still it wasn't running to my liking. I couldn't resolve the increase fuel consumption issue, plus the hard starts (even on warm days), and several other minor but irritating issues such as the rear oil leak. After pulling the engine to do a mini overhaul, pricing parts and the time I would have to devote to the repairs, it just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

If we're ever going to go offshore I would not feel comfortable with the old Westerbeake, so since the engine is out, we'll just wait until we can afford a new one, which will hopefully be this fall at the boat show. Stanley at Beta seems pretty familiar with re powering our boats, and the Beta also seems to have the best fit from what I have read here and elsewhere. I would also consider a Yanmar but from what I understand, the install is far more complicated in regards to the engine bed and exhaust mods needed.

BTW...anyone looking for W50 parts, contact me as I think I may start to piece it out. The rebuilt injectors and injector pump have very little hours on them, the glow plugs all work, plus I have two heat exchangers (one spare). Boat Drinks

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012 15:48 
Skipper

BTW, I would recommend modifying the engine beds if you go with a Beta 38. Beta Marine tried 3 times to make me custom engine "feet" as they call them and never got it right. I ended up letting them keep the $500 and modified the 3rd set to fit my stock engine beds. Modifying the engine beds would have been faster in the long run. I figure the repower with the Beta would have been a 3 weekend affair without the hassle with the custom feet.
Attachment:
stock feet.JPG

stock feet.JPG [ 143.78 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
modified feet.JPG

modified feet.JPG [ 155.64 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2012 07:20 
Skipper

Anybody out there consider Nanni? I was looking at one the other week and it seems like a decent fit plus it is based on the Kubota engine where parts would be available through a tractor supply. I was looking at the Nanni 38 hp.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2012 11:32 
Skipper

The Nanni 38 looks just like my Beta 38. I like that the heat exchanger is a little farther aft than the Beta. it looks like maybe a standard small frame Balmar alternator would fit. The Beta requires special Balmar with connections on the side of the rear alternator cover as opposed to the rear due to clearance to the heat exchanger. I would want to know if the oil change pump hose has a pickup tube inside the oil pan that extends to the bottom of the pan. If it's just a bulkhead fitting the looks like about quart of oil would be left in the pan during an oil change.

In my area which is not as agricultural as it was 40 years ago I have to order filters from the Kubota dealer before I need them as they don't stock that P/N. How are they priced compared to the Beta and Universal?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2012 18:36 
Midshipman

My mechanic is giving the W50 a 'once over' tomorrow, specifically checking the exhaust elbow and other suspects for an overheating culprit. Here's to hoping he finds the cause, because I am not ready to part with more money I don't have!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012 22:03 
Skipper

With engine that's over heating look for blockage. If you ever replace a raw water impeller and it's missing parts, go find them they will not dissolve. More that likely sitting in a elbow at the heat exchanger. Second warm the engine up and flush the cooling system with white vinegar. Flush thru the intake hose let sit and flush again. Run about 2 gal thru, you'll be amazed at the junk that comes on the exhaust. If you need help with the flushing rig send me a pm.

Also I rebuilt my W-50 about 8 years and it wasn't too bad. They thing no one tells you is some parts are available and cheap. The fresh water pump on the W-50 is the same as a MGB and can be bought for $35 import auto store. Actually the short block and crank are the the very same as a MGB. The long block is a Leyland BMC 1.8L diesel and you can get most of the internal parts here at Asap. They did have manifolds, a while back. But parts are getting harder to find.

http://www.asap-supplies.com/brands/bmc-leyland

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email