Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Remote start W50.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 17:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remote start W50.
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012 01:47 
Skipper

Hey shipmates...

Anyone ever hook up a remote start on a push-button start W50? I would like to be able to bleed and do other work without dragging in a helper to push the button. I picked up the old time remote start (a button with two clips... $15) like I used when working on an old Ford. I just need to find the right relay/solenoid contacts to short to make the starter go. Thought it would be simple to see, but the manual is over simplified to not include a relay, and when I got down there I see things that look like relays but with too few poles.

I'm used to a 4 pole relay but several of the control panel wires dive down and back from these gizmos before heading to the starter. They look a bit like relays.

Attachment:
File comment: Relays?

IMG_1969.png

IMG_1969.png [ 526.8 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

But is the solenoid relay part of the solenoid or separate? The schematic shows it as one thing and wiring seems to match what's going to the starter. Everything but one wire going to one pole.

Attachment:
File comment: Electrical Service Diagram - Starter

ESD.png

ESD.png [ 28.61 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

So I think I need one clip on the big cahuna pole, and one on that lonely pole with just the one wire. But I'd like to not add starter troubles to my list of issues so if anyone's done this, please chime in.

Attachment:
File comment: Starter

IMG_1966.png

IMG_1966.png [ 518.15 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Remote start W50.
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012 04:40 
Skipper

Your assessment is correct. You need to short between the large pole (coming from battery) and the single wire to the solenoid. It's confusing because the large terminal on the starter is used as a common positive pole for use throughout the boat.

Jim

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012 05:26 
Skipper

Can t tell from your first picture, but the two gizmos shown look like they are the two circuit breakers for the engine. The circuit breakers have small reset buttons in the center.

Jim

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012 07:41 
Skipper

Bingo! That explains it! They must be circuit protection for those wires coming is as shown in the EWD. And on the back they have a mounting screw and something previously unknown that now, after your post I'm willing to declare a reset button.

I'll try it out tonight and report back for anyone else interested in solo ops. It should be as easy as checking which solo pole is ground, and use the other one. (and the big common + pole)

... and my one new thing for the day is now I know what circuit breakers from the late 70s look like.

So going back to the full diagram I see that one is the 48A breaker for the start switch/glo plugs, the other is the 10A breaker that goes from the starter pole to the fuel pressure switch

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012 23:24 
Skipper

Works like a charm.
Just brushed off a little paint and I was off to the races.

Tip... if you're in the cabin, be prepared for it firing up. Bleeding at full throttle and she came to life. Battery won't cut it off... don't want to reach around the spinning alternator to get the throttle at the pump... so I nearly busted something getting to the throttle topside with no stairs. Yikes.

Attachment:
File comment: Remote hooked up.

IMG_1975 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1975 (640x480).jpg [ 254.32 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email