Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Fresh Water Pump Westerbeke 40

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Apr 2024 05:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fresh Water Pump Westerbeke 40
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012 18:14 
Rail Meat

I thought I saw a post on this but now I can't find it so sorry if this info is already available.

I'm starting to have more than a drip of water come from behind the housing for the raw water impeller. I suspect the fresh water circulation pump is leaking, as I'm also have to top off the coolant every so often. Has anyone pulled this pump and have any advice for the removal? Were you able to rebuild is with a kit available from Westerbeke? The post I thought I saw and was looking for said it was a similar pump to an MG - anyone have info this? I'm trying to collect up information before I take things apart since I'm at anchor and want to minimize the time without an engine.

Thanks!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Fresh Water Pump Westerbeke 40
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2012 05:18 
Skipper

I may have provided the post you are describing. Unfortunately, I have a W50, so I can't give you any direct advice about the pump removal process for a W40.

However, you cannot get a repair kit for your FW pump, but It can be sent out to be rebuilt. It cost me about $70. You can find a number of shops on the internet. Unless you can find a shop nearby, it will take a few weeks. I did mine over the winter so time was not a problem.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2012 06:21 
Skipper

This site http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects has a very good article on rebuilding a raw water pump, it is a Westerbeke but not our W40.

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2012 17:40 
Rail Meat

Oops - So even though I'm mechanically inclined I mis-understood the way the engine is put together. It is actually the raw water pump that is weeping and a bit of the leaking is the gasket. Now comes the fun part, getting a rebuild kit in Mexico. At least taking it off and putting it back on with the bolts tightened down a bit more has slowed up the leaking some.

Thanks for the help, and the excellent link to the pump rebuild instructions, that will be very handy when I get the kit.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012 05:53 
Skipper

I'm rebuilding my R30G-1 and found Sherwood is very well documented. Nice change of pace.

Attachment:

Sherwood_R30G-1.pdf [236.8 KB]

Downloaded 15 times

Attachment:

Sherwood_3050_R Series_TECH.pdf [588.8 KB]

Downloaded 8 times

And these folks seem to have all the parts and rebuild kits in stock for a nice price... for my pump anyway.
http://www.marinepartssource.com/product.asp

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012 16:07 
Skipper

The W50 freshwater pump is a MGB water pump, about the 1980's vintage. They are about $35 life time warranty here in Tidewater Va. Paint it Chevy engine orange, look at the hoses while you're at it, I have the auto part number for that also. The one hose can be cut in half and makes both pieces. I know of three Tartan 37 w/W50 who have done this.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email