Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - exhaust elbow

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 16 Apr 2024 02:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: exhaust elbow
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2012 16:40 
Navigator

I have been having trouble with the heat exchanger rubber end cap blowing off and splitting. Gets a bit spendy when this happens a couple of times. I tracked the issue to the exhaust water injection elbow that was very carboned up and corroded inside. So I cleaned it up and actually had to remove about two inches of the end but it should work for the season. Looking on line at the part 33067 mine looks totally different. The Westerbeke part is a 90 deg elbow for $350. Mine is a 45 deg angle elbow elbow with a tube welded inside. It almost looks factory but not sure and I cant find a similar part. Does anyone with the w50 have any advice? It may be a modification to make the vetus muffler fit in better. Thanks, Carl S. Mawky, ser 295

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: exhaust elbow
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2012 14:07 
Skipper

Carl,
Are you talking about the injection elbow or the pipe that comes directly out of the manifold? Which engine do you have? I have a W-40 and the pipe that comes directly from my manifold is straight for about nine inches, then threads into the injection elbow. My injection elbow is actually from Yanmar. I had to replace my old one years ago to corrosion build up inside of it and the Westerbeke part was WAY TOO pricey. As long as the inside diameter is the same, it shouldn't make much difference in the flow. Also, the pipe that comes off of my manifold is also a replacement. My old one snapped at the threaded section as it screws into the manifold (pain to remove!) . I replaced it with stainless instead of the galvanized pipe that it was.
Hope this helps.
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012 17:22 
Navigator

Hi Tom, yeah, the part I am talking about is the water injection elbow. I have the W50 and there is oh, I guess, about 8 inches of staight pipe threaded into the manifold and then the elbow threads on to that pipe. Will have to remove that elbow, on the end of the pipe, and I think it will take alot of penetrating oil. The water injection tube that was welded into the elbow was 4 or 5 inches long with about an inch or so sticking out for the hose. That is the piece that was choked up and corroded so I just took off about three inches. I am guessing that some old impellor blades got hung up inside the tube and just burned away there. Thanks for the advice about the Yanmar piece. If it will thread to the 2inch manifold pipe and take 2 inch hose it should work fine.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012 19:15 
Skipper

Carl-

Check eBay for the mixing elbow. I found one there about 3 years ago which I bought for about $50, if I recall.

Good luck.

Jim

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012 06:38 
Skipper

My W50 had a pipe and elbow arrangement that looked like it was hand made from black iron pipe. It might have been replaced by the PO, but my engine only had about 1200 hours on it when I got it. I think you can put just about anything that fits there and injects water away from the engine. I think these parts are generic and I would not feel compelled to get the Westerbeke solution. Black iron pipe works. So will other applications.

On the other matter---blowing the cap off--I had this issue and went through a lot. While it is possible that your elbow situation is causing this, but there are also other possible causes. I spent an enormous amount of time chasing this problem down on my engine only to find that the oil cooler was impeding the flow and the real problem even though it looked more or less clean at the orfices. This unit is another piece I think you could get from a generic source and probably get a better, more efficient and cheaper oil cooler from some after market source. The fittings are standard to other units and oil coolers are more or less generic. I bought a Westerbeke unit, but their parts are so atrociously overpriced and I had little respect for its functionality. I carried a spare when cruising because it was a weak point and I had to replace mine more than once.

But you are correct to look at the elbow. Also make sure that the rubber cap is exactly[u] aligned with the divider in your heat exchanger. The caps will blow off if this is not precisely aligned. There is a service bulletin on this matter from Westerbeke from the late 70's.

An old salt diesel mechanic told me that the Westerbeke 50 was a good engine but that the raw water cooling side is a major weakness. After owning one for 15 years and about 3500 hours, I agree.

Ray

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012 07:52 
Navigator

Hi Jim, so was the one you picked up on ebay a U shaped Yanmar? There are a couple on there now but would prefer a 60 or 90 deg. Thanks, Carl

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012 08:10 
Navigator

Hi Ray, I did have a small oil leak on my oil cooler so when I was tracking the exchanger cap issue this winter I replaced the oil cooler. Mr Cool was the supplier, cu and ni construction nice fittings with zinc for $200. This didnt solve the cap problem though. Am hoping that it is the elbow not allowing enough water to flow out. Has anyone heard of a muffler going bad? Any way to check one? Possible exhaust gas pressurizing the heat exchanger from muffler backpressure? I think unlikely, the engine always ran fine. My muffler is the Verna Lift big coffee can style. Also thought the cap issue could be an engine exhaust hose collapsing inside so I replaced the section from elbow to muffler, hose looked ok inside. So I am going to try the elbow fix for now. Carl

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012 10:05 
Navigator

Whoa, check this out. Just what I needed.
http://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/exha ... er/31EE200

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012 14:18 
Skipper

I have one I made for my W-50 out of 316L stainless pipe elbow(45*) and 3 nipples. It has about 100 hours on it. It's yours for 50 bucks including shipping if you want it. I'll try and post a picture if your interested.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012 14:40 
Skipper

Here's a pic of that elbow. Not too great but it's the best I had with me.
Attachment:
elbow.JPG

elbow.JPG [ 157.88 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email