Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Fixed:... W50 not starting.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 23 Apr 2024 02:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mayday... W50 not starting.
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012 23:29 
Skipper

Finally we have a Westerbeke! And considering what was different this time from last... apparently you have to have your port holes open to get it to start. That's the only difference from my view.

The shop put the pump and injectors on the test bench and everything looked fine. So I spent yesterday and today after work putting it all back in. But this time... she jumped to life before I finished bleeding the injectors. No glow plugs or anything.

Video...
http://youtu.be/Dt2QzoCJSwQ

Thank you all for your patience.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012 08:17 
Skipper

Nice video. When you were rolling the credits, you mentioned tuning out the smoke later. You MAY not need to alter the timing on the pump.

Here's why. If you did not use the glow plugs to start her up, the cylinder heads were still cold and the motor won't burn all the fuel. Plus my mechanic says bleeding the system sometimes puts raw fuel in the muffler and that takes time to clear out. (personally I think that's hooey)

But anyway, after my pump rebuild and timing adjustment, Impetuous runs great. But one 75 degree day I thought I would just crank her up and she blew white smoke for a couple of minutes and then cleared up. Connie always uses the plugs and it never smokes when she starts the motor.

So my thought here is to use the glow plugs and see if that clears your white smoke on start up. IF so, you saved yourself a trip to the bilge again.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012 14:02 
Skipper

Great tip. I won't be tinkering with things for a few weeks so hopefully it clears up as you say. I'll be running her a bit tonight once she's in the water. Let her idle while I offload all my tools and prep her for stepping the mast. And with all the fussing over the past month, I'm sure I have plenty of fuel in the exhaust system.

Tartan

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012 17:18 
Skipper

Sure you know this, but do not idle your engine much--it is not good for it. The engines are built to perform for periods across the power spectrum (idle to 100%) but most of the band at 60% to 80% of full throttle and RPM. Most recreational boat diesels are idled or run at below 70% too much. Some folks think they are helping their engines to run them at lower RPM. In general this is not true. When I repowered, the Yanmar break in procedure requires the engine to not be idled (or avoid as much as possible) for the first 50 hours while requiring that it be run at full throttle after 10 hours for 8 minutes out of each hour for the first 50. After that, the manual suggests that idle be avoided as much as possible and the engine run at full RPM for 5 minutes out of each hour--target load and speed is 75%. I believe this is the result of research on wear and not that they are building new engines very differently. Gasoline engines are somewhat different, but diesels like loads and 70% power to keep the heat (needed for full combustion) and lubrication up in them.

Thanks for your post. Always interesting to follow a case. I am thinking someone changed something when they tested the pump or adjusted the installation.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012 21:42 
Skipper

While I was in Florida, I read an article in a boating magazine that discussed diesel engine loads, wet stacking and cylinder washdown. The article states that most cruising sailors are ruining their diesels because we try so hard to stretch each gallon we consume. (GUILTY as charged.) So I found a few articles that deal with diesel generators and wet stacking.

http://www.kraftpower.com/pdfs/KPC_IS_1 ... acking.pdf

http://www.powerscity.com/message_7.html

http://www.dieselgeneratorset.us/wetsta ... torset.htm

"Wet Stacking" happen when a diesel engine operates below the rated output level the engine starts over-fuel or "wet stack". Diesel engines are designed to operate with a load and operate more efficiently in the 70 to 80% range of rated output. When a diesel engine operates for a long period of time below 40% it begins to over fuel. This happens because the injection tips begins to carbonize and disrupt the fuel spray pattern. From http://www.dieselgeneratorset.us

Also, when engines run below the designed operational temperature, the piston rings do not expand sufficiently to adequately seal the space between the pistons and the cylinder walls. This results in unburned fuel and gases escaping into the oil pan and diluting the lubricating properties of the oil, leading to premature engine wear. From http://www.kraftpower.com

Solutions for wet stacking:

The obvious solution is to always run the generator set with an electrical load that reaches the designed operational temperature of the diesel, or approximately 75% of full load. Built-up fuel deposits and carbon can be removed by running the diesel engine at the required operational temperature for several hours if wet stacking has not yet reached the level where carbon buildup can only be removed by a major engine overhaul. From http://www.kraftpower.com My emphasis added.

So anyway, I've started running my engine harder for several hours when I run it. And we've upped our cruising speed. We used to run at 4 knots but recently we've been using 5 to 5.5 knots with some sustained 15 minute periods of 6 to 6.5 knots. And I think it's working. I have been seeing some soot coming out of the exhaust at the higher rpms. Fingers crossed that I and the previous owner haven't quite killed this engine.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2012 06:21 
Skipper

Great references, Wayne, clear and concise, and seems like this should be posted somewhere in the technical section of this site. Really makes a case for an adjustable pitch prop and some aggressive tuning of it along with running the engine at the right power setting related to hull speed. The prop I got with my T37 (which I think was the stock "Sailor" prop) was grossly over pitched and made it difficult to reach proper RPM under load. I have a friend who has ruined the engine in his Hallberg Rassey by proudly running it at 1200 RPM (engine rated at 3000). He says it is in great condition through the cloud of blue smoke when he starts it now. Some of the centrifugally adjusting props make running your engine at appropriate speeds difficult, if not impossible from my experience in deliveries with a couple of them. You cannot run your engine at the advised power settings with an improperly pitched prop.

Profile Email