Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Heat Exchanger maintenance

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 08:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heat Exchanger maintenance
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012 12:07 
Skipper

Over the summer last year I noticed an increase in running temps of Betty Lou's Westerbeke 40. I'd been meaning to pull off the heat exchanger and oil cooler for a trip to the radiator shop, and I did that this weekend. I think that my heat problem is going to go away.

When I pulled off the end cap of the heat exchanger, I found that the raw water intake port was almost totally blocked by a half-inch tall chunk of hard white chalky deposit. There was also considerable build-up of deposits on the ends of the tubes. It amazes me that I was still getting a good flow of water out the exhaust, but I'm betting that I'll see a marked increase in flow after the shop finishes with it.

I think that before I reinstall, I'm going to take a hard look at the injection elbow, and back-flush the raw water system for good measure. Thanks to Tartan37.com for the excellent tech resource on overheating!

- Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger maintenance
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012 14:11 
Skipper

Very good plan. Your Westerbeke will probably run forever. Mine didn't--even though I cleaned the heat exchanger regularly and the elbow once, I did not keep on top of the elbow. Suggest it be broken down every 1000 hours and examined. I would still have my W50 if I had done that.

Ray

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger maintenance
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2012 16:19 
Skipper

Ah... one of the few silver linings to being landbound on the great lakes. Freshwater is much nicer to our cooling systems. (That and no coral reefs or tides.)

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email