Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Westerbeke or Yanmar or other?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 25 Apr 2024 17:08

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Westerbeke or Yanmar or other?
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012 21:49 
Skipper

Lets say you decided to re-power your T37...which engine would you choose and why?

Also, what Horsepower?

Westerbeke
Yanmar
Beta
???

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Westerbeke or Yanmar or other?
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012 09:52 
Skipper

Chef,
Good question......I would say a lot depends on the support of the manufacturer, parts availability, and comparative engine displacement/HP. Will the replacement engine fit onto the existing engine support box without too much alteration. Prop shaft sizing? Will you need a new prop? One important issue: is the engine you're looking at designed for the new ultra-low sulphur diesel? This is important because the older engines rely on the sulphur as a lubricant and the ultra-low sulpher fuels can damage seals etc. If it weren't for this issue, I would consider a re-build as to keep the replacement costs down. The other consideration that I would have is more philosophical.....is it made (or at least assembeled) in the USA thus supporting jobs here.

Let us know which one you're going with Exclamation
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012 12:51 
Skipper

I repowered with a Beta Marine 38 3 years ago. Reasons were first that it was a very neat package. Easy to maintain due to the layout of accessories and filters. Beta provides cross reference numbers for filters and belts so you can buy them at an auto parts store or Kubota tractor dealer saving some $$. Has a built in oil change pump. They advertise that the engines are quiet and smooth due in part to a heavy flywheel and that turned out to be true. The engines are emissions compliant. They come with a plug and play control panel. The company offers custom mounts for your particular installation to prevent having to modify the engine beds. In my case they couldn't seem to make the mounts correctly after 3 very earnest tries. I think I can take part of the blame for that. Instead of taking the numerous measurements they requested and filling the numbers into a form they provided I simply gave them a drawing of the Westerbeke I was replacing(Westerbeke drawing) showing the relationship between the crankshaft center line and the engine mounts. They couldn't reverse engineer their mounts from that info. In any case I finally made some simple modifications to the mounts they sent me and everything fit great. It was almost a drop in installation. Would have taken 3 weekends if not for the mount thing. In any case I am very pleased with my decision.
Attachment:
beta.JPG

beta.JPG [ 143.73 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012 15:17 
Skipper

Mine was repowered with a Westerbeke 44B. No mods were required to the engine beds,the dipstick and oil filter are tricky to access, unless you go in via the panel under the sink,which in itself is a pain. Can take pics if you need any details. Regards Bruce. ps very economical with fuel.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012 16:03 
Rail Meat

While I don't own a T-37 it would still be a Beta. Our CS-36T has a 2001 Westerbeke 44B and it has been a tremendous motor, smooth quiet and very reliable. However, Westerbeke parts, like Volvo, Universal and Yanmar are outrageously priced.

Stanley at Beta is the man. He stands behind his product and is a WEALTH of knowledge. They've done sooo much to those engines to make them better for sailors it is hard to stop counting the improvements beyond other marinized diesels.....

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012 16:39 
Skipper

The three cylinder Yanmar

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012 19:34 
Midshipman

Maine Sail wrote:
... Stanley at Beta is the man. He stands behind his product and is a WEALTH of knowledge. They've done sooo much to those engines to make them better for sailors it is hard to stop counting the improvements beyond other marinized diesels.....

Just bought a Beta 38 from Stanley (based on the Beta attributes posted in this thread already) and will be installing it in the next month or so. Looking forward to it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012 20:37 
Skipper

Thanks for all the replys...

I am leaning towards the Beta, the 38 most likely. But when looking at their website I found this...I think it could be a great option for our T37's with the limited space, Beta 38 Hybrid Drive http://www.betamarinenc.com/Hybrid.html

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012 16:17 
Midshipman

I'm with Baxter on the Beta. I just need the wallet to catch up with the dream sheet and it is as good as installed.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012 15:36 
Skipper

I installed a Yanmar 3 cylinder (less vibration than a four) a couple years ago and my work process is noted in the technical section of this website. I chose it because in my international travels, I found that Yanmar parts are available in many, maybe most other countries. You might think that in the age of FedEx you could get parts anywhere, but it can be a phenomenal hassle to import parts as I learned the hard way. Also, the Yanmars are purpose built for sea use and things like the heat exchangers are not tacked on to a small tractor engine and the blocks to not require a bunch of pencil zincs to keep them from clogging over time. That having been said, if you can get Beta to actually engineer the feet of their engine to fit the peculiar position of the Westerbeke 50 in a T37 (it is weird) that would save some money in fitting an engine. Not sure how Beta would do that though----the W50 with the Hurth transmission has a very odd shaft exit that is positioned an inch plus lower that the engine mounts. Not sure how you accomplish that without cutting down the engine bed, but there may be a way. This is the major work of repowering. My quote from Beta and Yanmar were nearly identical when I looked at what the total cost was.

I have found the parts for Yanmars are not inordinately expensive from my local dealer. I can buy impellers and filters for cheaper from the dealer than generic parts from Defender or Hamiltons (Yanmar oil filter was about $7). BTW---I have never found a more expensive place to buy Westerbeke parts than Torrenson. I have no idea how they are able to survive. My local Westerbeke dealer was always cheaper and I am sure there are other dealers that beat their prices. Torrenson's website was useful for identifying part numbers but their prices were, at times, laughable.

FWIW

Profile Email