Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Injection Pump Fix - Replacement

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 08:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Injection Pump Fix - Replacement
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011 08:33 
Skipper

Anyone out there fixed a leaky injection pump ? Mine is leaking at the engine shutoff toggle arm. I removed the arm and put some rubber tape under the metal ring and replaced the arm. This slowed the leak a lot but is not a perm fix.

ANyone repowered their Tartan and have a W50 they are parting out ? or know of one ?

Anyone rebuild their pump by themselves ?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Injection Pump Fix - Replacement
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011 11:51 
Skipper

I had my injection pump rebuilt two years ago, along with the injectors. I cannot recall what they (Arundel Injectors near BWI Airport, Maryland) charged but it wasnt that bad, I think a $140 or so?

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011 19:24 
Skipper

Hi had my W40 injector pump rebuilt last year because the seal was going on the accelerator cable. I got the whole thing rebuilt since it was over 30 years old. It was pricey (over $1000.00) with the rebuild and removal and installation (some really hard bolts to get at!). I can't believe how easy it starts now - I never use the preheater now where I routinely did on a cold engine.

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011 20:56 
Skipper

I just found an old post I made about the cost of my injector pumpo rebuild, $450 was the charge done at Arundel Injectors in Maryland. Good guys

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011 17:33 
Skipper

There are two o-rings behind the cap and two more on the throttle arm. My throttle arm is leaking on me and I'm getting up my courage to pull the outer o-ring out and get it sized so I can replace all four. Hopefully, this won't turn into yet another brilliant idea gone horribly wrong. But my track record's not so good. More on this in a couple of months when we slow down sailing around here for a few weeks.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011 06:21 
Skipper

This is a followup on my own post. I've learned that most diesel shops can do this repair. I have one locally. Since I do most of the work on my engine I'd like to know who of you have taken the injection pump off and what you did to maintain the timing..... thanks.

By the way, the local diesel shop said I would most likely only need new O rings and not a complete rebuild.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011 07:48 
Skipper

Mike-

I haven't removed/reinstalled my fuel injection pump but have researched what needs to be done. The timing alignment is very straight forward. There is a hairline scribe mark on the pump's mounting flange. That scribe mark needs to be aligned with a matching mark on the engine's mounting flange. I'm considering a rebuild on my pump, so I checked it out this last weekend. To get to it, you need to remove the alternator. Once you do that you'll see the pump is attached to the engine via three studs/nuts. The bottom one will be hard to get to. At the top most stud/nut connection, there should be a hairline scribe mark on the pump's flange. The matching scribe mark on the engine flange should be directly across from it. My engine had both scribe marks, but the pump was offset clockwise about 3/16" which concerned me a little. I've got an email into Westerbeke to gage their reaction to the slight advance - haven't received a reply yet. However, I'm having my injectors rebuilt at Boston Fuel Injection, who I've worked with many times in the past. They indicated that it has been a relatively common practice to advance the timing slightly on older engines to reduce smoking, and I should probably leave it where it is. BTW, my pump seems to be working OK, but I also have slight leakage at the o -rings described by others. Looking forward to their experience at replacing the o-rings.

As I wrote earlier, I've had great experiences with Boston Fuel Injection (with my W50 and other diesel engines over the past 25 years). They have been very honest with me, been quite responsive, have given me great advice when trouble shooting problems. Their phone number is 617-884-5151. They quoted me $600 to rebuild my fuel injection pump about 2 years ago, but advised me to hold off rebuilding it based on the very minimal leakage I was getting. I like that honest advice. They were right. They engine continued running very well, and I lived with the small amount of fuel leakage.

Jim
T37C #191.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011 19:34 
Skipper

A followup to my post above.... I received a response from Westerbeke about timing mark alignment:

Hello Mr. Voelxen,

A fuel injection pump receiving good quality diesel fuel properly filtered should give tens of thousands of hours of service before overhaul is needed.

If you have the injection pump overhauled I would return the pump to the current timing position if as you say the engine has been running properly for these last eight years you have owned the vessel.

You could return the pump to the factory set position before you remove the pump to see how the engine operates when this is done. Advancing the timing would start the injection earlier and probably produce a quieter running engine.

If no marks were present, it would be a trial and error approach having no timing tools to work with.

Jim
Odyssey, #191

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011 13:12 
Skipper

I removed mine a few years ago and had it rebuilt much as your folks said it was. I do not recall a problem with realigning it with the marks. Seemed like a fairly simple process. I think that injector pumps are stressed by time and by some of the additives that we are using to combat the algae and lower lubricity. I would recommend using only the recommended doses and not the "some is good, more is better" philosophy that I used. I can't prove that this hastened the pump's death, but I suspect it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011 16:44 
Skipper

My leaking (a W40) just got worse so that I was getting a cup of diesel or so with less than a hour of motoring. We got the pump off and he managed to change the O rings but we had major issues getting it back on the engine (W50 sounds easier) I think we twisted something and there was likely lots of dirt inside the pump so we decided it best to get it checked out/rebuilt.

Richard

Profile Email