Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - General Info on Oil Seal Leak

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: General Info on Oil Seal Leak
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011 16:13 
Midshipman

I have checked the search engine for the forum and found several posts related to a rear oil seal leak on the W50. My engine has only about 1000-1200 hrs on it (second engine on this boat), and I had no leak until this spring... well maybe just a minor leak that was not that noticeable. We moved the boat to a new port 70 miles north on Lake Michigan, having to motor into a NNE wind for 11 hrs. When we got to our new port, I found oil in the fiberglass pan under the engine that had run from the rear of the engine to the front. It wasn't a puddle but definitely dripping from somewhere aft of the oil drain hole/bolt. I suspect the motion of the boat caused the oil to "spread out" in the pan making it look worse than it was. I cleaned it up with cat litter as I always keep some in the front of the pan, and after a few short daysails, did not notice the leak again. Then we took another trip, motoring 3 hrs most of the way to our first port at 2000 rpms, and another 3 hrs part of the way home a week later. When we got back to home port, I checked the oil pan and had the same oil leak almost exactly.

At first I questioned whether the marina who had winterized it last fall, had not done so. But then I figured if it was a cracked block to do freezing, I'd have antifreeze in the bilge like a car engine. So I'm guessing this is that rear seal leak some of you have mentioned?

I did check the oil and it is not noticeably indicating a lower level on the dip stick. Am I correct about the seal? Any suggestions?

Mark

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: General Info on Oil Seal Leak
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011 17:02 
Midshipman

I should mention that I motor the boat at 1800 to 2000 rpm when underway.

Mark

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011 19:30 
Skipper

Rear oil seals on Westerbekes are notorious for dripping, hence the nickname "westerleak". If it is only a little at a time, make sure you use an absorbant pad and keep a couple of quarts handy. A small leak isn't too much too worry about and buying a quart of oil is a lot cheaper than having the real seal replaced by a mechanic. Of course, if the leak seems like it's getting excessive, by all means, have it looked at.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011 20:02 
Skipper

You might want to check the oil cooler and associated oil lines to be sure that's not your culprit.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2011 17:24 
Midshipman

Thanks guys. I don't have to tell you how hard it is to see under the rear of the engine but I do keep a mirror on board for such purposes, and suppose I can dab a clean papertowel around to confirm the source. I learned from an old auto mechanic that you should always look for the simplest things first, and I have found that to be true over time.

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011 11:37 
Skipper

My Westerbeke leaked like that for the 3500 hours I owned it. As has been said, it is annoying but probably not a big issue. Actually improved (got a bit less, but never stopped) towards the end after a long trip (many days) of motoring, so it might have something to do with the rear seal drying out during storage. I have had that problem on my cars when stored for multiple months.

Profile Email