Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Repowering with a Beta 35 HP 4 Cyl

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 16 Apr 2024 05:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Repowering with a Beta 35 HP 4 Cyl
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011 20:08 
Midshipman

Fellow owners,
I received a recommendation to repower our T37 with a Beta 35 HP 4 cyl with a 2nd alternator. Ours runs fairly well now, but I am worried about a 31 year old engine that has seen two other owners. There were no maintenance records with the boat, but I know she sat idle in the slip for a couple of years before we bought her. He quoted $14000 for the entire job from start to finish. Can anyone tell me if that if that sounds about right or if I am about to buy some oceanfront property? Also, can anyone make a recommendation about the Beta?

Thanks in advance.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Repowering with a Beta 35 HP 4 Cyl
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011 06:58 
Skipper

I think that 14K is about in the ballpark. About 10 years ago, I was quoted 12K for a complete install with a Yanmar but I wound up keeping the Westerbeke thinking that I'll replace it when it dies.....hasn't died yet and still runs strong so a re-powering project is still out for now....
Isn't the Beta engine based on the Kubota block? Kubota makes a great engine and parts are available where ever Kubota tractors are sold.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011 11:38 
Skipper

I did this swap about 2 years ago. It was a fairly simple project. I was quoted $14K to install the Beta 38 (I don't think they make a 35) with basic engine control panel, small alternator and no other accessories. I opted to do it myself and spent about $11K which included the upgraded C-Panel, 100 amp alternator and calorifier (water heater) fittings, custom engine mount feet and 10% Calif. sales tax. There was a problem in getting the custom feet to fit even after 3 tries so I modified them myself to fit. In their defense I gave them a drawing of the W-50 instead of all the impossible measurements they wanted but they couldn't seem to engineer the feet from this info for some reason. They did give it a good try though.

If I had it to do over again I would get the Balmar alternator made for the Beta engine instead of the their 100 amp option. The Balmar runs cooler and with higher output at lower rpm than their optional offering.

Make sure of the engine max rpm. I was lead to believe it was 3000 rpm and opted for the 2:1 trans. It turned out the engine had a max rpm of 3600 so I ended up cutting my prop down to 16" to get max rpm. I think the trans should have been 2.5:1. The dealer was surprised my engine was 3600 but I think they went through some kind of transition on the engines during that time. Anyway check that out before you buy.

I'm very pleased with the engine. It's so much smoother and quieter than the Westerbeast it replaced. It starts instantly and has more than enough power. Parts are readily available and the company even provides cross reference numbers for filters, belts, etc. It's easy to service due to the placement of the dip stick, filters and raw water pump. They even include an oil change pump mounted to the front of the engine.

Let me know if you need any more specific info. I'd be glad to help.

Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011 17:41 
Skipper

That sounds reasonable for the work involved. I spent that doing a replacement with a 39 HP Yanmar with 80 amp alternator and panel upgrade plus replacing water heater and a lot of related stuff you run across (sound proofing, replacing the strut, shaft, cables and hoses). I would work hard on specifying exactly what you want done because I could do it cheap or do it well, there is a $3000 difference that would be fair.

Profile Email