Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Wanted W50 cooling parts

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Apr 2024 19:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wanted W50 cooling parts
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2010 13:16 
Tactictian

I am looking to buy a new thermostat, radiator cap, and an end cap for the heat exchanger, all for a W50

Anyone who has these parts, or knows of a reliable online source would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Charlie

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Wanted W50 cooling parts
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2011 12:00 
Rail Meat

Radiator Cap - Go to an automotive parts store, get a cap rated for around 7 lbs. or go online to Torrensen Marine, their part number 11499. At $12.10 not too expensive.

Thermostat - Go to the Stant website and download catalog: http://stant.com/catalogs/filedisplay.c ... t\catalogs Use you existing thermostat for measurements and you can obtain the correct part number. You want a 180 degree unit. Last one I got cost me $7.92 or Torrensen; p/n 24960 at $23.21

End Cap. Torrensen has them for $125.96 (p/n 23169) way too expensive. I have used one you can have for $40. I also have brand new CU/NI heat exchanger made by Sendure for the Westerbeke 50. This is a much better unit than the original since it is copper/nickel vs plain copper and uses a bolt-on metal cap vs the rubber. I want $600 for this and that includes shipping.
I'm currently out of town for the next two weeks, so if you want the cap or the H/E, it won't ship until I return.

Obviously you have an overheating problem, it's been my experience that the parts you are interested in rarely are the source of the problem. Still most mechanics would start with these items. I assume you have checked the raw water impeller and you have flow.
If you'd like to e-mail me your symptoms, I may be able to help. I've got many years of experience working on these engines.
Vern Steele
steelevern@yahoo.com

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Replacement thermostat
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2011 09:27 
Skipper

Word of caution: before you put a cheap replacement thermostat in your Westerbeke, you should note that your old one has a drilled 1/8" hole in the flange in it to allow bypass. There was a Service Bulletin on this from Westerbeke in the early 1980's about this. There is no reason you cannot drill it yourself if it is 180 degree thermostat and if it fits, but it needs that hole in the same place. When I bought the Westerbeke parts they looked exactly like a standard thermostate with a freshly drilled hole in them. As was mentioned, the main heat exchanger is not usually the problem with over heating though they can stand to be flushed occasionally. Make sure the cap is on correctly (the crease on the inside of the cap MUST be lined up correctly with the division in the exchanger). I once had an overheat problem where it was the oil cooler that was clogged. Over the years I found it is smaller and more likely to collect and retain salt. Check your intakes as well-- Tartan was minimalist on through hull i.d. for the engine and it cannot be much obstructed.

Profile Email