Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Westerbeke 40 fuel pressure switch

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 22:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Westerbeke 40 fuel pressure switch
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2010 16:24 
Skipper

I have been getting diesel leaking out of the fuel pump around where the fuel shutoff and throttle shafts go into the top of the fuel pump. The mechanic got it apart ok and replaced the rubber washers which stop it from leaking but could not put the top on properly while the rest of the pump was on the boat. So we took the whole pump off and got it rebuilt (probably never done before). To put it back on is IMPOSSIBLE without pulling back the header tank as there is one allen keyed bolt which is nearest the engine that you just cannot put back in when the top of the pump is on and the header tank is on. So if you have to take the pump off save yourself time and just pop off the tank.
When we got everything back together I had intermittent oil pressure, RPM's and sometimes no alarm upon start up. The problem was that there is a "fuel pressure switch" (#11383, now 37323) which is in series with power for the tach, oil pressure gauge and alarm and is mounted on the side of the fuel pump. I guess the cleaning it went thru mucked it up as it was ok before. Easy to replace, a "normally open" oil type pressure gauge so all is well. My question is does anybody know the purpose of this fuel pressure switch? If there's no fuel it won't start anyways, so besides being something that can break and make the gauges not work I'm thinking if just bypassing it and shorting the wires together - thoughts?

Richard

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Westerbeke 40 fuel pressure switch
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2010 11:19 
Tactictian

The pressure switch on the injector pump turns on the power to the motor- gauges, and I imagine alternator excitation.

I don't really like it either and have been planning to rewire with a key like every other boat in the world!

Merely shorting it is probably not a good idea hwever.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2010 13:31 
Grinder

You're quite right the switch turns on the power to the gauges, tach and alternator excitation. The 37 has a "key-less ignition" so if you don't want anyone to drive off your boat when you're not there shut off the battery switch. If you put in a keyed switch to replace the fuel pressure switch, do remember that turning it off will NOT stop the engine and if you do use the fuel shutoff you have to remember to turn the key to the off position or your batteries will go dead over time. sad

T37 #31
Abraxas

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2010 16:52 
Able Bodied Seaman

You can go to Sears and get a long T handle hex key that will access the bolt and make it easier to get off or tighten. you also need this to adjust the timing of the pump by rotating it.

Profile Email