Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - smoking

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 26 Apr 2024 18:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: smoking
PostPosted: 31 May 2010 08:08 
Navigator

my w50 has always puffed out a little white smoke, and when warmed up it seems to go away or diminish to barely noticable. lately it seems to be lasting longer and very noticable. a little of this smoke may actually be steam caused by the cold lake superior water but my suspicion is that it is mostly unburned fuel. could the new marina fuel, valvtech, have anything to do with this or does this sound like an injector issue? it seemed to happen right after a tank of the new fuel. i am wondering if the newer fuel sprays differently from the injectors and is metered differently from older fuels. thanks carl s Tartan
Mawky, ser 295

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: smoking
PostPosted: 31 May 2010 20:38 
Skipper

Good timing...I had the same issue after having both the injectors and injection pump rebuilt. I've been having a LOT of white smoke at start up since the reinstall and it never really went away until (after a consultation from a great Diesel mechanic) I turned the injection pump about 1-2 degrees. I just made this adjustment this morning and I was sooo pleased to see it gone.

On your pump there should be an arrow showing the rotation of the pump, you would want to twist/slide it in the opposite direction. I started by marking the pump and the bracket with a pen then loosened the three nuts (the inner one being the most difficult to get to) enough to moved it just about a 1 degree or about 1/16.

Hope that helps

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010 09:44 
Navigator

thanks so much, that really did help. didnt find the arrow in the casting so i started one hair ccw shaft end, more smoke. one hair cw shaft end, no more smoke and idles smoother. very difficult to rotate cw. all of the stiff metal fuel lines were tensioned to pull other way. also, had to remove alternator. i think what started all of this was the extra long oil filter that i installed last fall. bigger is better. the extra length interfered with one of the metal fuel lines and engine vibration could have moved the fuel control ever so slightly. anyway, i am very happy with the results and thank you again for the advice. i guess the marina experts were a bit off on their diagnostics. one said my rings were shot, even though the engine uses no oil. one said my injectors were shot. that sounded a bit more likely but the problem just showed up so suddenly i questioned that too. thanks again. carl sutherland mawky ser295

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010 14:21 
Skipper

I have to give credit to Buddy at Baltimore Diesel in Glen Burnie...the guy has been working on diesels for over 50 years. I stop in his shop for the first time just recentley looking for a solution to a stripped banjo bolt in an injector housing. He had the peice I needed and charged me all of $10.00, otheriwse I was considering a new injector from Torrensens for something like $600.00 Frustrating And thats after just having them rebuilt Rolling Eyes

I didnt remove the alternator, but I was close to. Glad to hear your positve results. Cheers And same as you, the engine runs smoother and hopefully less fuel useage.

I am going to replace all four banjo bolts with new ones that are better desginsed than the originals, the new W50 ones have a recessed ring to allow the fule return without the need for them to line up.

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email