Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Exhaust Riser Installed Backwards

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 15:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Exhaust Riser Installed Backwards
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2010 22:04 
Rail Meat

I'm the 2nd owner of #68, the Jolly Swagman. On my Westerbeke40 there is a 45 degree elbow with a nipple brazed into it that injects the water into the dry exhaust leaving the engine. It was wrapped with fiberglass cloth and a stainless sleeve that made for a factory looking instalation. While removing the head, in the process of looking into a smoking problem, I found this piece to be installed backwards. Squirting water directly into the exhaust manifold whenever the engine was running. From little specks of water making it past the exhaust valve while the engine ran, I found metal severly eroded in the combustion area of the head. Worst in the 4th cylinder and getting better as you move forward, with no damage in number 1. This is like sticking a garden hose in the exhaust manifold whenever the engine was running.
This screw-up looked very factory and I can't help but wonder if anyone else has come across this situation? My smoking problem was from low compression due to metal missing from the head. After a complete warm-up the engine would smooth out and the smoke stop as the extra heat would help combustion.
I actually had put the engine back together with new valves, guides, springs, seats, etc. Leaving the eroded metal, well, gone. It was after no smoking improvment, I found the reversed elbow. Until then, I couldn't figure out what made the damage. She still smokes like a Peterbuilt when cold, but I know she'll stop and all the water is now going the right way.
When it reaches the top of the list, I'm going to try welding and reworking the head, before thinking about a new one. As all cylinders held lite oil in them and the walls and pistons looked fine, I'm thinking that ought to do it. Had all the injectors rebuilt.
Again, curious if this has come up before with anyone else.......

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Exhaust Riser Installed Backwards
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010 08:53 
Tactictian

Can you post a picture?

I don't think I have a stock exhaust, it looks nothing like the Westerbeke part in the manual. Mine is a stainless "U" which bolts to the manifold, goes up about 6" and then goes vertically down to the exhaust can. The salt water injection is right at the bottom of the down section. When I bought the boat it was weeping where the injection came in but i just ran a few beads of magic rod and it has been fine since.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Exhaust Riser Installed Backwards
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2010 12:26 
Able Bodied Seaman

Mine points backward also (original W40 in hull #16). It looks factory but I am concerned although haven't taken things apart to check for damage.

New Day T37 #16
Newport RI

Profile Email