Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Cooling problem

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 05:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cooling problem
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2010 12:00 
Tactictian

I am looking for some ideas. W50/Leyland 1.8D

My engine is dripping coolant from the header tank overflow drain tube pretty much constantly.

Engine temperature is fine (180?), and I am not dropping coolant level.

No oil in coolant, no coolant in oil. Coolant still bright green.

I am thinking heat exchanger ruptured, but it surprises me that the sea water side pressure would be higher than the coolant pressure. I checked the coolant return elbow and it is clear.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated. Has anyone changed repaired the heat exchanger?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Cooling problem
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2010 10:12 
Rail Meat

I had my heat exchanger rupture and didn't notice it till it was time to winterize the boat. The coolant was totally gone with just fresh water in the line. I removed the exchanger and a friend took it to a boat repair school were they soldered the ruptured tube closed. You should check the zinc too while you have it out. The repair has held up for four seasons now in fresh water. Engine temp is fine. Barry

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2010 10:35 
Tactictian

Thanks,

I think I will take it off and check it.

It looks like I need to take the Exhaust mainfold off to get the heat exchanger off though, which is a drag. Need to get an exhaust gasket first.

Charlie

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010 21:23 
Skipper

If you can isolate the failed tube in place, it might be worth trying and epoxy plug. I've seen Liquid Steel seal engine blocks. This should be pretty low pressure as long as the other tubes are flowing free.

Might be worth a try. Dye the internal coolant and if you see it coming out the exhaust you'll know the plug failed and you can go for the removal next season.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010 11:52 
Tactictian

Well I took it off yesterday, actually pretty straightforward. About an hours wrenching.As with most of these jobs the thought of it is worse than the doing.

It is really nicely made and seems to be in good shape. I am not a big fan of the rubber boot affair though.There were quite a few bits of Zinc plugging tubes and I thoroughly washed it out. Maybe reduced flow had increased engine temp slightly? But the gauge seems pretty sensitive.

I needed to change both zincs, and I found a larger diameter one for the Oil exchanger. The one in the main heat exchanger is much smaller in diameter but I cut it significantly longer than the old on and it is still well clear of the baffle. This is of course much easier to do with it on the bench.

Everything in Mexico is closed for the Easter Weekend, so I will wait until monday to get it pressure tested at a radiator shop.

All in all it was worth it just to check the hoses, and clean it all out. It also allowed me to fix a small leak behind one of the pushrod access plates as the rubber gasket was misplaced.

I will try and post some photos today.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010 15:28 
Able Bodied Seaman

Mexico?

New Day T37 #16
Newport RI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010 20:06 
Tactictian

We are in La PAz, sailed here from BC last fall and will spend the summer in the sea of Cortez.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010 12:06 
Skipper

Sounds like you are on the right track there. If all this does not work, you might have the same experience as I: after having a cooling problem and doing all that you are doing and still having a problem--I discovered that the oil cooler was clogged. While you can easily inspect the heat exchanger, it is ridiculously hard to check the innards of your oil cooler through the openings--especially in the end where the salt builds up. Mine was salted up to very much restrict the flow and put back pressure on the whole system. I bought a new one, but I bet you could get someone in a radiator shop to boil it out down there in Mexico. They are better at fixing things there than here in the US. Here they just replace everything.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but are you planning to go South in Mexico? I did the whole coast to Panama a few years ago and would be willing to make some suggestions if you are going and interested.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010 20:07 
Tactictian

No problem. We are actually not sure, we did the same trip 9 years ago in a small wooden boat, and then we went from Zihuatanejo to Cocos, and then in to Northern Panama. That was great but we missed all of Costa Rica etc.

I would love to hear what you enjoyed.

For now we are heading into the Sea of Cortez for the summer, and will re-evaluate in the fall.

As for the heat exchanger it is all back in with new zincs, hose clamps and some hoses. Seems to be running about 10? cooler, but I haven't really had a long trip yet.

I have also considered replacing the radiator cap. The one on there is stainless and has 4lb printed on it. The only one I have found so far reads 7lb, and I am concerned about increasing the saystem pressure?? Any thoughts?

Profile Email