Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Winterizing a Westerbeke 33

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 01:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winterizing a Westerbeke 33
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009 13:27 
Rail Meat

I have been told the best way to winterize the sea water in the W33 is to close the seacock, open the sea strainer and pour in antifreeze until she spits pink. It sounds logical; however, when I open the sea strainer and start the engine, my water system looses it's prime and water stops flowing so it doesn't suck in the antifreeze and starts to overheat.

Suggestions?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Winterizing a Westerbeke 33
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009 13:47 
Tactictian

maybe take the hose of the thru hull and put it in a bucket full of antifreeze?

Not really a problem for us on the wet coast:)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009 13:59 
Rail Meat

I tried that and she got too hot before she started sucking. I ended up putting the intake hose right into the antifreeze bottle, turning it upside down, poking a hole in the bottom of the bottle, starting the engine and shaking the bottle until she started to feed. What a mess! There has to be a better way (I hope)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009 14:00 
Able Bodied Seaman

Paul - I have a 33 and use the procedure you described for many years. I make sure that the engine is up to operating temperature, close the seacock, open the strainer, pull the strainer, and pour the anti-freeze in until to comes out of the exhaust. Two things come to mind re your problem: (1) with the engine running, pour it in so that the strainer is full at all times to assure that the engine is not sucking air: (2) if that doesn't work, check and make sure that your impeller is not damaged and that there is no leak in the raw water system. Let me know if this helps.

Byron Higgins
Lavieve
Hull #444

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009 14:12 
Rail Meat

I didn't start the engine until after I closed the seacock and opened the strainer -sounds like I need to start the engine first.

Thanks all!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009 17:09 
Able Bodied Seaman

I don't think you would harm anything if you left the engine running while you started the procedure. Good luck. Byron

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2009 12:29 
Skipper

I had the same problem with my W40, it would not pull antifreeze when out of the water but ran fine when in. My problem was a bit of backpressure in the system caused by some restriction where the water feeds into the exhaust elbow. I popped off the hose and drilled some of the restriction out. I didn't know if I had fixed the problem til the following season and it has worked fine for 2 now. The way I figured it was the problem was the only way to get it to take in antifreeze was to take off the hose to the engine and gently blow out some of the water to clear the lines then it would take antifreeze out of the strainer when hooked back up.

Richard

Profile Email