Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - How long will a W50 last?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Apr 2024 15:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How long will a W50 last?
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009 09:19 
Navigator

Just curious to see at what hour mark one should expect specific repairs on the W50. I just turned 2100 hrs on mine and and wonder about things like the starter, valves, pressure fuel pump, injectors etc. I think the engine will go much longer than the accessories will and certainly the maintenance history and type of use plays a part too. But there must be a ballpark range when the mechanical life of these things is close. Thanks, Carl

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: How long will a W50 last?
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009 14:00 
Skipper

I have always been told that a marine diesel should last at least 6000 hours before a rebuild. So judging by the typical usage of our engines, we may have another 30 years left!!! Very Happy

A lot of the wear on the engine depends on the maintenance, so if the engine has been looked after, no worries, but if it has been neglected...who knows??

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009 16:29 
Skipper

I had 4500 hours on my W50 when I pulled it. It was still running and starting fine, but it was starting to produce a lot of blue smoke and the thing always leaked from the rear seal and slung oil all over the place. I think this may have been my fault as I left the boat in the Panama rainforest for a rainy season without starting it. When I did start it up in made some godawful clatter and the oil smoke started. Watch that exhaust elbow and keep it clean. I met a guy who had a 4-107 and had about 18K hours on it--said he overhauled it at about 9K. Also, I think that it really matters how you use it it: I would suggest you never run it for less than 20 minutes (get the condensate out) and make sure it runs without smoking (black--the stock prop on mine would not allow that) at 80% of rpm (2400--2600). An engine lugged or run just to get the boat out of the slip is not going to go more than half the normal lifetime regardless of maintenance.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2009 21:47 
Navigator

I think the starter is one of the most important accessories. When you need your motor it is always dependent on a functioning starter. Other accesories give clues when they are weak and you always get at least a second chance. I think this fall mine will come off and get sent to a shop. There are some good industrial shops in the area that can clean it up and give me some peace of mind. Has anyone had a starter go out and at what hour range? thanks, carl

Profile Email