Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Heat Exchanger backflush. W50

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Apr 2024 19:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heat Exchanger backflush. W50
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009 19:42 
Skipper

We chewed up several impellers before we learned not to run them until the water stops flowing. Now we check every year and replace every other. But for the past two years we've had sketchy cooling. We've been running hotter than normal and the tailpipe flow just didn't seem to be all there.

Rather than breaking everything apart, I wanted to try the simple approach first... and I think it worked!

1. Disconnect the raw water pump outlet.
    2. Disconnect antisiphon inlet. (this means you're back flushing through the oil cooler because the oil cooler inlet hose is about 2 inches and would be tough to remove)
    3. Get a bucket and a hose with a jet nozzle
    4. Press the jet firmly into the antisiphon hose and watch the chunks flow out.
    5. Change directions for a few seconds when you stop getting chunks to shake things loose. And every now and again blow on the hose until the circuit dry so you can guage the resistance.
    6. Repeat 4 and 5 until you get three consecutive clean buckets and you can blow freely.

The setup...

The results... 19 in tact impeller vanes and lots of little chunks.

Hopefully we've now payed for the sins of the past and will never need that process again. But if you find your cooling flow stops, this is a good quick first step.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Heat Exchanger backflush. W50
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009 08:46 
Navigator

Great idea! I know my system is loaded with old chunks. I have had to replace my impellor anually. I think on shutdown there is some backflow to the pump and and an old chunk is taking out my impellors. Thanks, Carl

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009 14:03 
Skipper

So the moral of the story is that when you replace your impeller and there are pieces missing....go look for them???

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009 16:31 
Skipper

Need to find every one of them.

This should go in the technical file.

I had my boat more than five years before I figured out how to do this.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2009 10:43 
Able Bodied Seaman

Yes, this should go in the Technical file. Oh, and please include how to backflush the W40 as well. Plenty of them out there and all need cleaning.

New Day T37 #16
Newport RI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2009 13:09 
Skipper

Assuming the W40 has an oil cooler, it's the same process. But first one to try should take pics.
I should note, that the alternative to this is to pop the cap off the end of the exchanger and go fishing. But this addresses things that have made it past the end, into the tubing.

I should be able to tell you the results in a week or so. I'm hoping for a drastic change in heat retention, and a full flow out the tailpipe!
Tartan

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 16:06 
Able Bodied Seaman

I am missing an important piece; exactly what/where is the "anti-siphon inlet" hose connection? Is this actually the raw water connection to the exhaust elbow?

New Day T37 #16
Newport RI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 20:53 
Skipper

Yes, Jharvey, that is right where the anti siphon (you should have one) loop injects. The engine block is below the waterline.

Also, I found that the oil cooler needs flushing and cleaning even more than the heat exchanger. I had some cooling problems (not enough water, hotter temps and blowing caps off the heat exchanger) that finally traced to an oil cooler with too much salt collected. I am guessing that you guys who live in climates where you flush your engines and store your boats on shore each season, have fewer problems than I did in San Francisco.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2009 00:01 
Skipper

At least on the W50, the oil cooler's connected to the anti-siphon valve. I used that hose. So the backflow goes hose, oil cooler, hose, heat exchanger, hose. Everyone gets a flush.

The anti-siphon is the valve hanging on the bulkhead. Mine needed to come down for a cleanup anyway (28 yrs and it started dripping water on the engine when it ran). But really that's just the easiest hose to get to. The one between the exchanger and the oil cooler is short and would be impossible to get off.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010 10:08 
Tactictian

Down2TheC wrote:
At least on the W50, the oil cooler's connected to the anti-siphon valve. I used that hose. So the backflow goes hose, oil cooler, hose, heat exchanger, hose. Everyone gets a flush.

The anti-siphon is the valve hanging on the bulkhead. Mine needed to come down for a cleanup anyway (28 yrs and it started dripping water on the engine when it ran). But really that's just the easiest hose to get to. The one between the exchanger and the oil cooler is short and would be impossible to get off.

Actually the short hose is easy to get off as the oil cooler is mounted with a hose clamp, and once you loosen that it can move aft off the short hose. Just have to be lucky that the hose clamp on the forward/heat exchanger end is orientated in such a way that you can get to it.

Profile Email