Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - What is W50 based on/ injector pump drip

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 20:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is W50 based on/ injector pump drip
PostPosted: 24 May 2009 11:40 
Tactictian

Can anyone tell me what the W50 is based on?

I think it is a bmc Leyland 1.8, but I would really like to know the actual model number.

And can anyone tell me whether a drip from the throttle arm on the injector pump can be fixed from the outside (a seal) or if it needas a pump rebuild (o ring)

Thanks, Charlie

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: What is W50 based on/ injector pump drip
PostPosted: 25 May 2009 10:35 
Skipper

The W50 is based on a BMC block. I believe that it is 1600 cc. I was never able to find any source of parts or model number for it as it has been out of production for many years. I was told that basic rebuild kits (rings and valves) are no longer available even from Westerbeke though I was occasionally able to find parts from Torrenson and other places that had replacement stock stuff on the shelves.

I would venture that your leak at the throttle valve on the injector pump is a classic indication of a need for a rebuild of the pump. My rebuild cost about $700. Most diesel shops can do this and the injector pumps were made by just a few manufacturers for multiple engine manufacturers, but as I am sure you know-- it requires the services of a special shop set up to rebuild these. I am told that the newly formulated fuels and some additives will hasten the death of old injector pumps.

I had no option but to replace mine with a Yanmar Tartan Tartan , but would recommend that folks attempt to keep their W50 going as long as possible. A replacement is about 10K for the engine and about that again for the labor to install and replace everything you are going to need to revise and fix to get the engine in.

Good luck.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 May 2009 17:56 
Skipper

FWIW I just spent $450.00 for a W50 injector pump rebuild at Arundel Injectors near BWI Airport. They did an excellent job for a very fair price IMO

Tartan

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 May 2009 19:59 
Tactictian

That is probably the way I should go. Did you remove and reinstall it yourself?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 May 2009 10:21 
Skipper

No I didn't, lack of time, plus it needs to be "tuned" when its goes back on and I wasn't comfortable doing that, and I dont have the tools to do so. The labor cost about $450.00 as well Shocked

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 May 2009 18:07 
Skipper

I removed mine and reinstalled it. I did not tune it. It ran fine-started and ran immediately after some cranking to bleed the injector lines (each one had to be loosened and tightened to get the air out). That was 1000 hours ago. I don't know what "tuning" would mean except to adjust the idle speed.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 May 2009 18:31 
Skipper

I don't know exactly what timing/tuning is needed but I can say the engine has never run so smooth and seems to have less vibration and noise? Very Happy If I had more time I may have tried doing it myself but I wanted to get sailing sometime this year, and I must work to pay the bills Wink Cheers

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 May 2009 23:17 
Skipper

I just went through this but with a different outcome. My injector pump was leaking at the throttle shaft also. The local Westerbeke guru quoted me $1300 plus r&r to rebuild the pump. He said that more often than not the leak was caused in part by corrosion of the throttle shaft bore in the aluminum pump housing due to years of being exposed to water in the fuel and atmosphere. The fix is to ream the throttle shaft bore oversize and install a stainless sleeve so the o-ring has a smooth sealing surface again. I've finally decided to quit throwing good money after bad and I'm repowering. The old Westerbeke went on a diet last weekend and now I have a garage full of manifold, starter, transmission, etc. BTW, Ray Durke (Velera) has an excellent article in the tech section of this site on repowering the T-37. If his article doesn't scare you off then maybe a repower is your future also.

-Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 11:43 
Midshipman

Quote:
BTW, Ray Durke (Velera) has an excellent article in the tech section of this site on repowering the T-37

Jim,

Got a link to Velera's site for us?

SOLARE #442

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 22:50 
Skipper

The article is on the Tech Resources page on this web site. That said I have to say that the Tech Resources button does not show up on my browser for some reason. Others have had that problem also. Here is a link

http://www.tartan37.com/techresource.html

If you can't see the buttons let Tom Wells know about it.

Jim

Profile Email