Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - seasonal maintenance

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 24 Apr 2024 19:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: seasonal maintenance
PostPosted: 12 May 2009 15:18 
Rail Meat

When changing transmission fluid, it there a drain plug? Can't see any on the parts diagram. Or is it better to suck it out the infill?

The maintenance manual talks about removing injectors and spraying oil into cylinders then using new sealing washers when replacing. Does anyone do that?

Is it necessary to replace secondary fuel filter if Racor filter is changed?

Thanks

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: seasonal maintenance
PostPosted: 13 May 2009 08:44 
Skipper

On my boat, I spoke to the PO about if he had ever changed the transmission fluid, he said no and he had the boat 5 years before I bought it. He pulled the engine 2 years prior to replace pumps, gaskets and anything else where parts could be found. He said that when he asked the mechanic about changing the transmission fluid, the mechanic ask him, "is the transmission running OK ?" at which he replied yes. Then the mechanic replied , why change it then ?

I just check the level/color now.....

By the way, since the Racor filter was added the secondary filter has never been changed. Probably going on 5 years or more now.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 May 2009 19:08 
Able Bodied Seaman

I just removed the stock water seperator / "sedimenter" and put in a racor spin on. I have been talking to others in the marina about the merits of changing the filters annually also. It all depends on the size of the filter in each unit. My engine mounted filter is a 2 micron and the racor is a 10 micron.
That way the big stuff is stopped at the easier to change spin on racor. I will still probably continue to change the 2 micron engine mounted filter annually. It is still probably getting dirty. Some people just inspect the filter and put it back on. I couldn't eyeball how dirty it was - I'm not that good! Plus you've basically done the job already by looking at it. You would save the cost of the filter though I guess.

#167 Tenacious
Port Clinton, OH

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 May 2009 21:55 
Skipper

The plug on the Hurth 150 transmission for my W50 is on the bottom. It is the same nut size as on the top. There is so little room that I just let the fluid run into the pan and mopped it up with a fuel diaper. I think that there is a reason to change it occasionally, but probably not annually. The stuff does not get dirty, but the lubricants will break down with heat and use. I changed mine every couple of years. Do not over fill this (I recall it takes 500ml) or you will replace gaskets---I know this from experience. It is a lot cheaper to change this than to replace the transmission, although I do not think it is as critical as other maintenance items like checking the exhaust elbow, changing oil and filters, and Racor filters. Some of this maintenance is just good practice to familiarize yourself with the engine and look things over while you are working.

Profile Email