Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - oil levels

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 08:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: oil levels
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2009 09:19 
Grinder

My W40 shows different oil levels after sitting overnight or shortly after shut down, which should I believe? There is a differnece of nearly a quart.
Shocked

T37 #31
Abraxas

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: oil levels
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2009 11:04 
Skipper

Rely on overnight. Takes a while for the oil to drain out of the system. But it should drain down in half an hour--should not be necessary overnight.

One thought: what are you using for oil filters? I used a crummy oil filter when in Central America and had a lot of valve clatter for a few minutes when starting the engine. Turns out that the filters did not have much of a back flow preventer and they completely emptied--so when the engine started there were some minutes that little oil was high in the engine. Bad. I found Fram PH8As to be OK on my W 50, but these (Fleetguard---which might have been different than US as I bought them in Mexico) were given away quickly.

What I am saying is that you might have a dirty or clogged oil filter or line that is preventing the natural backflow if it takes overnight to recognize the true level. but short term, it is not a problem if your oil level shows a quart low immediately after shut down. A old mechanic told me that they can run + or - a quart without problems, but over that is a problem as the pressure can put pressure on the seals.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2009 08:06 
Grinder

I use the fram PH8A as well. I was guessing that the level was dependent on whether this filter was full or not. This still begs the question, which level is the "operating " level?

Question

T37 #31
Abraxas

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2009 16:37 
Able Bodied Seaman

The overnight level is the correct one.

Profile Email