Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hot Water

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 23 Apr 2024 07:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hot Water
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2009 09:49 
Rail Meat

After replacing the heat exchanger on my Westerbeke 33 I am not getting sufficient flow to the hot water heater to heat the water. This problem appears to be unrelated to the new heat exchanger as the engine temp. is normal (just under 180 degrees) and the engine fresh water system is full. I mention it here just in case I am missing something.
I am thinking the problem may be with the Westerbeke 33 flow controller p/n 31198 and/or the flow controller spring p/n 30165. These are shown on page 295 as ref. # 9-2 and ref. # 1 in my parts book.
I was hoping someone could explain how the flow controller works before I get in over my head. Could the spring be stuck or broken?
I would also appreciate any other ideas as to why I am not getting sufficient flow to the hot water heater after replacing the heat exchanger. sad

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hot Water
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2009 09:29 
Rail Meat

It is possible you have an air lock in the water heater loop. When you re-filled the system after you replaced the heat exchanger, trapped air may not have been removed from the loop inside the heater. The circulation force isn't that great, and if there's air trapped inside the loop it compresses but doesn't move. Ask me how I know about this!

I was trying to develop a way to purge the air without opening the system back up, and what I tried worked. I took the boat out on a brisk day and put the rail in the water with the engine running. The heel evidently encouraged the air bubble to move and it worked its way out and into the surge tank. I know this because when I went back to the slip, the water was already warm.

Another boat at our marina had a similar issue. He installed a couple of those capped tees from auto parts stores on his supply and return lines, then used pressure from a water hose to blow the air out. That worked for him, but now he's got more potential leak locations. To each his own.

I hope your problem is as simple as mine was.

Tom Wells
Tartan 37 #224
Higher Porpoise

Profile Email