Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Leaking Fuel Injection Pump

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 21:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaking Fuel Injection Pump
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009 00:07 
Rail Meat

Our injection pump is leaking pretty badly, about a drip every second. It appears to be coming from the seal on top of the main body. It needs to be rebuild but we are a bit nervous about taking it off. Has anyone done this? What timing issues do we need to be aware of?

Its a '77 w40.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Leaking Fuel Injection Pump
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009 11:40 
Skipper

I had my pump switched out with a re-built unit, but I had a boatyard do the work so I'm not much help here sad Do you have a repair manual for the W-40? I've got one, but it's down on the boat. I know it has a schematic on the pump, but I'm not sure how much detail it gives you for taking it apart.
Good luck!!!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009 18:00 
Able Bodied Seaman

I am not sure where you are located but if in New England, Boston Fuel Injection can rebuild it. I purchase a rebuilt one from Trans Atlantic Diesel in Maryland when I rebuilt my W40. Also Foleys Diesel Engines in Mass can help. Mine leaked where the shaft went down into the top of the pump and I could never get it to seal properly. Probably any good diesel shop should be able to do it if they can get the parts. If you get a rebuilt/new one make sure you give them the pump serial number and model number (All the numbers on tag on pump body are needed) so that you have the correct timing on the new/rebuilt pump. Foley's also has rebuilt W40's which is really a Perkins 4108/4107, look at the engine block serial number to see which block you have. I have a picture of the tag. What is your email address and I will foward it to you.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009 22:02 
Rail Meat

thanks for the info guys.

We are in Naples FL.
I did call Foley and they have rebuild pumps available once I identify the numbers on the current one.

I'm wondering whats involved getting it off. I do have the manual with fairly basic instructions. We were about to tackle it then we had a couple of people tell us we should leave it to the experts because of issues to do with timing but they were not familiar with the engine and couldn't give me any more specifics. I wasn't going to touch the timing in the pump, just replace it with the correct rebuilt one. What am I missing?

Any info is appreciated my address is
j a m e s c l u b l e y AT g m a i l DOT c o m

Profile Email