Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - oil change

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 26 Apr 2024 12:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: oil change
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008 11:06 
Grinder

Group,

What sort of rube goldberg set up do you use to extract the oil out of the dip stick hole. On our 37 with a W40 it is well hidden on the starboard side of the engine with coolant hoses in the way. It is hard enough to check the oil, never mind trying to extract with a par pump. Confused

T37 #31
Abraxas

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: oil change
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008 14:18 
Skipper

The Oil Boy Fluid Extractor by Tempo, the best thing I have ever used:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... ew&i=29588

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008 21:40 
Rail Meat

Second that on the Tempo Oil Boy.

S/V Sundog #207

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2008 14:10 
Skipper

Betty Lou has a pump permanately attached via a special oil pan plug. Don't know the pump brand... it's from the p.o., but it's brass. To change oil, I just unclip the pump body from the bulkhead, put the pump's spout into whatever container I have handy, and pump the crankcase dry. Then clip the pump back to the bulkhead.

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008 06:06 
Skipper

I have a Quick Drain pump permantly mounted so all you have to do is to run the engine a bit to warm up the oil, flip a switch, open up the valve, push a button, empty into a gallon jug and your done. It seems to be working well so far after about five years. There's a brass fitting that screws to the drain plug under the oil pan and a high-pressure hose attached that runs to the pump. I have the pump mounted on the front of the fiberglass catch basin in front of the engine.
http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/16143-qwi ... ystem.html
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008 07:43 
Able Bodied Seaman

Tortuga is right! Ive had the oil drain system in past boats and changing the oil is almost fun. Ive found that not only does it take almost no time but there is little mess.And you change the oil When it is supposed to be changed well worth every cent of $124 [Tortuga good tip and advise to everyone] With out one changing the oil is a messy and time consuming job.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008 16:36 
Navigator

I use the tempco oil changer too. Works good, still ends up being a mess but thats how it goes. I always put the qty of oil the manual recommends and then the motor seems to lose about a cup or so from somewhere in the aft end where the trans mates up. I dont think it hurts anything but thats a mess too. I wonder if I should just fill up to the dipstick full mark and not waste that cup of oil but am not too sure how accurate the dipstick is either. Winter is getting ugly up here in Minnesota and it hasnt even started yet. Happy Holidays. Carl. Mawky ser 295

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009 20:39 
Rail Meat

thanks everyone
bought the tempo oil boy yesterday and got the best oil change i have ever had!

btw, tempo oil boy is discontinued and n/a at online sources i tried; but i found one on the shelf at west marine where i went expecting to get the moeller; learned that moeller bought tempo; if you cannot find oil boy the moeller should be similar but at a higher price

i had an old topsider (blue metal rounded can with weak pump) with which i struggled and never got all the old oil; i thought that going through the dipstick tube was the problem -- not so as oil boy worked great -- but a quick drain would be tuff to install as my drain plug appears to be on the aft starboard corner of the pan. i can feel (not see) the plug reaching from front and there seems little room to swing a wrench. no arm (or visual) access from cockpit locker. so i was encouraged by everybody's comments on oil boy and after trying it i can happily abandon thoughts of qwik drain for this installation.

for anyone struggling with lousy hand pumps, get the oil boy or moeller!!! compared to the topsider, oil boy is physically much easier, gives positive feedback on extraction progress, and seems to extract nearly all the old oil (i got over a gallon), and not messy.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2009 13:11 
Navigator

So how much oil do you guys put back? up to full mark on the stick or do you go with the book value? Carl, Mawky, ser 295

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009 18:53 
Rail Meat

i use the dip stick

Profile Email