Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - fuel gauge

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fuel gauge
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2008 09:42 
Rail Meat

This is a really dumb question but this is my first season with our Tartan. The previous owner told me he always filled the fuel tank at the end of the season and I thought he had done so. We are on a moderate sized Minnesota lake and the longest motoring I've done is about 1 1/2 hrs moving from the marina we craned in at to our summer slip. About 8 miles estimated. Other than that, it's been 15-20 minutes or so to motor out into the lake, raise the main sail and away we go. I do make sure the engine has a time to warm up and I do check the temp gauge. Exhaust is a nice light white color, runs great, etc. Every time I looked at fuel gauge, it was reading full so thought, great, not using much fuel. then I noticed that the gauge was bouncing around when I had the engine running and was between 1/2 and 1/4 full. So, now I realize that every time I was looking at fuel gauge was after we were back at dock, with engine off. Duh!. So I proceeded to put 10 gallons of fuel in, have to haul it in by 5 gallon cans as no marina carries diesel, and my question is, how do you know when your tank is full? Unless the engine is running, the gauge doesn't help, I've looked at the fuel tank, still the original as far as I can tell. There are no signs of leakage etc, I suspect, the prior owner meant that he normally filled it each fall and since I bought it in the fall, he hadn't gotten around to that task. So, I'll keep hauling fuel but any guesses as to how much I should try to put in? Again, sorry for the dumb question but I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: fuel gauge
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2008 12:51 
Midshipman

Keith,

My boat #231 has a toggle switch above the instrument panel. When I switch it on, the gauge works...and the oil pressure alarm sounds. I don't know if this is factor or not. I suspect it is not.

You probably have a fuel gauge on top of the tank where the wires for the fuel gauge in the cockpit attach. If you sit at the nav station and lift the quarter berth cushion there is a teak cover. Underneath the cover are the fuel cutoff valve and the pickup for the fuel gauge.

Good luck.

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2008 14:58 
Skipper

Keith-

I had the same problem with my boat. It has a 'keyless' ignition system, which means the engine instrument panel is not powered until a pressure switch in the fuel supply system is closed after the fuel system is pressurized. That occurs once the engine has started. To fix this, I rewired the power supply side of the fuel gage to a 'hot' terminal on the gage board, which is the battery side terminal of the ammeter. By doing this, the fuel gage will operate as long as your battery selector switch has been turned to one of its 'on' positions.

Jim
Odyssey #191

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008 11:05 
Tactictian

I watch my hour meter, I reckon on a gallon an hour.

I have just replaced my gauge, there was a new one on the boat. When it read half full I put in 26 gallons (imperial) to fill it. I filled it with a regular hose and you can hear the change in sound of the air exiting the fill as it gets to the top of the tank (a sort of whistling increasing in pitch)
I try not to fill the hose leading from the tank to the deck fill as i figure this is the most likely point for leaks.

Hope this helps:)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2008 08:29 
Rail Meat

Thanks everyone. I did put an additional 5 gallons in and the gauge now reads full so at this point will watch the hour use and try to guess how much to add periodically.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2008 20:42 
Rail Meat

For what it's worth here are some statistics on my 4-108 (Westerbeke 40) fuel consumption. Over a 200 operating hour period we've consumed 0.8 gal/hr. That is an average of quite a few hours running at 2150 RPM (i.e. 6.0-6.2 knot cruise speed) as well as those hours at low speed in and out of ports. We're in Buzzards Bay / Vineyard Sound areas most of the time so distances running at full cruise speed may be longer than you have on the lake. Given that at lower running speeds fuel consumption is less than at full cruise you can make a guess at something less than our average of 0.8 gal/hr, assuming you have the same engine.
Best of Luck
Eric
Cricket
T-37 #145

PS The fuel gage accelerates rapidly when you drop below an indication of half full. i.e. half full indication may actually only be 3/8 full and 1/4 may only be 1/8. It's the charm of having a tank with a sloped bottom.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2008 20:15 
Rail Meat

This is from Eric of Kimberlite fame. I've never check it but I trust his work.
I've never filled Sundog from a can but using a pump it's real easy to tell when it's almost full. When it whistles at the stearn vent - stop pumping.

T37 Fuel Guage
1/8 = 3 gallons
3/16 = 4
? = 6
5/16 = 9
3/8 = 12
7/16 = 16
? = 20
9/16 = 24
5/8 = 28
11/16 = 33
? = 37