Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Fuel Tank Cleanout

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel Tank Cleanout
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2008 20:10 
Midshipman

I cleaned out my fuel tank today and I wish I took a picture of the black gunk that I got out! It was actually pretty easy and not that messy.

I got a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, like a spackle can but the sell them empty. I have a beckson pump and I got a fiberglass tomato stake and wire tied the inlet hose to the stake. I was able to move the hose around the bottom of the tank and work the pump by myself. Oh yea...I wire tied the outlet hose to the handle of the bucket to prevent it from pulling out and making a mess.

I removed the fuel gauge and used that hole for my exploration. The cork had a layer of slime/gunk on it. And when I ran the engine and noticed the fuel gauge it read 1/4 of a tank less than when I started; part was due to the 5 gallons I took out but part was due to the weight of the gunk on the cork float!

I would pump the black gunk out until the color in the hose was the reddish color of diesel. Then I would move it around and pump again... and repeat...

There is a sump in my tank too. I hit the sump a few times as that is where the gunk would collect.

Next new fuel filters!

T37 #231

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Cleanout
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2008 08:39 
Skipper

Thanks for the description and guidance, sounds like a good solution to what should be a regular maintenance issue...one that I should do more often Cheers

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2008 10:11 
Tactictian

I can't help feeling that while this is a good thing to do it may actually not be the complete solution.
I think it risks stirring gunk up that is not necessarily removed. Either emptying the tank and physically cleaning it or getting a fuel polisher in may still be necessary.

Charlie

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2008 19:50 
Midshipman

I agree this is not the same as completely cleaning out the tank. But, given the gunk that came out of the tank it is a good stop gap measure. My biggest fuel problem at the moment is with the deck fill. I need to replace it as I am sure that is where 98% of the water that gets into the take comes from. Once I complete that project and install the pre-filters, I will have a look at really cleaning out the tank.

On a side note, after cleaning the tank I filled the water separator and it didn't look right. So, I pulled it again and ran the fuel pump to pump out some crud that was in the line. When this ran clean I reattached the bowl and filled it again. It came out just as pretty as new fuel.

I'll let you know if I did stir up a mess and have the engine shut down on me. It hasn't done so yet. But then in about a year and a half of ownership, I have only used about 30 gallons of fuel...one fill up! Of course this season I need some...at $5.25 a gallon...

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2008 18:15 
Rail Meat

I had to change filters quite often and you know they always plug up at the worst times. So T
there were two of us in our marina that drained our tanks and cut 4 1/2" hole in the top of our tanks and cleaned them out. You have to get in the tank to wipe it out with rags because there is a black deposit that comes out of the fuel and sticks to the whole tank. The only time it comes loose is when the boat is rolling in waves. Watch where you cut the holes there are two baffles in the tank, I cut three holes one in each section. When I was all done I covered the holes with A 1/4" plate 6" diameter it was secured with machine screws, gasket and sealer. That was three years ago and I have had no problems since.

Paul
Port Clinton, Oh.
T37 #19

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2008 19:40 
Skipper

For those with original fuel tanks: keep on the lookout for signs of diesel/oil weeping below the nav station. My tartan is hull #59 and several (maybe eight) years ago, I noticed an oiley area that I knew was diesel leaking out. I ordered and installed a new tank w/o much difficulty and all has been well since, but the original tanks were steel and are prone to rusting through and mine had pin-hole leaks at the lowest corner of the tank, right where water would settle.
I ordered the tank from Joe Palmer, but he's no longer in business and Tartan won't be of much help for a time while they settle their issues, so a custom tank would be in order.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009 21:28 
Skipper

Has anybody found someone to pump out the tank and clean it professionally? What were the costs and what were the results? I am hoping some in the Great Lakes does this. What do truckers do or is this only a baot problem?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009 15:20 
Rail Meat

About 10 years ago I had Pughs in Racine pump out the tank and do as good a job of cleaning as they could using the fuel guage as the access point. If I remember they charged $5/gallon of fuel removed and a couple of hours labor. I don't know if they are still in business or not.

I now follow up every year with at least one draw of fuel using my oil extractor reaching down to the bottom of the tank.

S/V Sundog #207

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2018 09:08 
Rail Meat

I had my engine fail at 03.00 and sailed till morning when I lost the wind. I was towed 18 nm to my nearest port. I had black slime in my fuel filter. Had a blocked fuel line to the tank which I cleared with whipper snipper chord.
Now I need to clean out my tank.
The access to the tank is so small. How did you cut holes in the top of the tank?
I can take the small circle off where the sender is but if there are baffles in the tank how do I get to all the bottom area. I have a oil extractor I will try for removing the fuel.
My boat is hull number 9.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2018 22:59 
Skipper

About 17 years ago I got the black algea grow. It also was so bad the engine shutdown, clogged filter. The thing was black. I found water was getting in the tank via the fuel fill and the missing oring. I took copper tubing thru the sending unit's hole and sucked about 2 gallons from the bottom of the tank. Added Biobor JF, diesel biocide, added fresh fuel. Changed all filters and ran the motor. Found some head seas, clogged the filter again. Changed two more times and been fine since. I had a guy polish the fuel two years later and he said the tank was surprisingly clean. I run 10 micron filter, check deck oring, clean the tank bottom once a year and use Biobor JF. Use only the recommended amount, very corrosive on aluminum. No need to cut any new holes. Running the motor is what's needed to polish the fuel.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email