Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Exhaust Hose

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Exhaust Hose
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2007 09:34 
Midshipman

Does anyone know the size and relative length of the exhaust hose for a W50? It is a recommendation on my survey to have it replaced. Wow is this stuff expensive!

I also need to wrap the metal portion of the exhaust. I'll document with photos when I start this project.

Thanks,
Craig
Recollections (currently)

T37 #231

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Exhaust Hose
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2007 12:26 
Skipper

A note, if you replace the elbow buy it at your local plumbing store, you'll save about $200, crazy what they want sometimes for marine grade at you local Worst Marine Very Happy

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2007 15:21 
Able Bodied Seaman

I can't answer your question; but, I did want to encourage you to make the change. We had our exhaust hose replaced in 2002 on our 1982 T37 when we had some other major maintence done on the engine. Frankly, it looked OK when checking it with a flashlight before removal. When we got it out of the boat, there were cracks more than 1/2 way through the hose on the outside of the bends in the hose.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007 11:33 
Midshipman

I disagree with buying an elbow at the hardware store. My Tartan came with a weldment using a black iron elbow with the injection tube welded into it. Worked fine for the time it spent in Lake Michigan, but when I brought the boat to Florida the salt water imediately caused it to corrode shut. I blew a lot of impellors before I decided to iinstall a Westerbeke cast aluminum injection elbow. Best Westerbeke part I ever purchased!!! No more overheating and no more blown impellors.

JAMMIN' #226

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2007 14:58 
Skipper

Is that anything we should be concerned with? We have about 1300 hours and 26 yrs on the Westerbeke and our impellers are lasting about three yrs. Not sure if that's normal. (Though we've recently decided to change impellers every other year to avoid surprises.) She's never seen salt water so the stock parts on the exhaust and sw system should be fine, right?

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2007 14:54 
Grinder

T37Sailor,

I think the hose is 2" ID and you will use about 14 - 16+ feet depending on routing from the water lift muffler to the exit at the stern.

Mark

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2007 14:17 
Able Bodied Seaman

For the portion of the exhaust hose that horizontally traverses the underside of the cockpit, can Schedule 80 PVC be used? It is rigid enough but will it easily survive the hot water?

John
New Day

New Day T37 #16
Newport RI

Profile Email