Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - 24 Hrs. at 2200 RPM

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 04:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 24 Hrs. at 2200 RPM
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2022 10:42 
Skipper

I think I overfilled the transmission and the excess comes out the shift lever seal. That's all. 2200 RPM for 24 hours straight making 6.2 kn. with that folding Martec prop. Same oil measure. Same coolant measure. 0.6gph overall. 179.5 degrees steady. Oil pressure between 55 and 70, mostly 65. Transmission fluid halfway between notches when we finished. Boat's on a mooring next to the Hinckley dock in Portsmouth, R.I. Loads on a freighter Nov. 10 or so, arrives in STT Nov. 19th. Happy birthday to me.

Got 10 knots out of her at one point, but that included a 4.6kn ebbtide going through the Cape Cod Canal. Holy crap. Just hang on and pucker up. It took me a few minutes in the boils to remember we kept our boat up the Piscataqua River in the late 90's. THAT was a tidal current, and if the bridges weren't open you better know what you're doing.

Can't even remember when that was. Saturday?

Every time I got the sails out . . . winds were N, NW (honking cold front), E, NE, W, S and SW. So we pretty much drove the Gulf of Maine. Wind was right on the transom at 25 out of the North all the way across the Gulf. Big rollers, very cold. I've done more isometrics in the last few days than in the last 10 years.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: 24 Hrs. at 2200 RPM
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2022 20:14 
Skipper

I had to replace that seal on the transmission when I overfilled it. Fairly easy job as I dimly recall. Oil pressure actually seems high and out of spec. Could be sensor or voltage issue.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: 24 Hrs. at 2200 RPM
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2022 12:25 
Skipper

The "drip" from the shift lever stabilized down to nothing when the dipstick was showing between the two notches. Who has the seal for the shift lever for the little square . . . Hurth short profile sailing gear?

No issues with the engine lubrication system even at those pressures. We started out before the 24 hours down halfway between bottom line and top line on the dipstick and finished that way.

Only quick fix necessary was tighten the alternator belt once. The bolt into the Balmar on the adjustment part stripped and we simply put a fill bolt with new lockwasher through another hole and she hummed away nicely. Better than before.

Profile Email